Help with the capture device

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Help with the capture device

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:34 pm

For some reason the capture device isn't being detected by the comp, I know that it can't be broken (its been sitting on the top of a shelf in buble wrap for the past few months.) but the cature software we've been trying can't detect the device, and I can't capture the video. Any help?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:48 pm

Although I doubt I'll be able to help much, what kind of capture device are we talking about? A capture card? Firewire device? I know that my capture card (ancient, but oh well, that's what DVD-ROM drives are for...) only has drivers for certain OS's, which is why I can't use it- there aren't NT-class drivers for it, and I use 2K. If you're using windows, does it show up at all in the Device Manager, probably as an unidentified multimedia device?
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:01 pm

Its a USB ADS Technologies Instant DVD.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:15 pm

I'd assume that you have other USB devices working properly on your comp? Have you had this device working on the computer you're trying to use it on before?
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:34 pm

the problem is it USED to work, but now it doesn't.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:40 pm

Are there drivers you need to install for the card, so the capture software can see it?

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:49 pm

Well, the drivers are already installed, but my bet is that they need reinstalling, I downloaded updates, but those did nothing. I want to uninstall the drivers and start over from scratch but I don't know if that is the right thing to do, or if it will work.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:51 pm

Reinstalling is always worth a try.

Maybe remove the existing ones first, start over fresh?

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:52 pm

how would I go about doing that?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:58 pm

I like to use device manager for that sort of thing. (you're using win2k or xp, right?)

right click My Computer, click Manage, click Device Manager, find your capture card in the list, and double click it to get properties, etc.

you can remove/update drivers, get all sorts of info there.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”