Reading Material?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Right now I'm halfway through Stephen King's The Stand. It's been bugging me for a while, so I went to the library last week and picked up the uncut/complete version of it. My mom has that version somewhere, but it's quicker to run to the library. Good read.
Nessephanie wrote:Same thing I've been reading for the past few monthes...

Stephen King's Dark Tower series (on book 4 at the moment. :3)
I saw a new book in that series when I was there! ^^; I have, I guess, the other 4 books. I remember wondering if he'd ever continued it. I'll have to dig those out and reread them before getting the next in the series.
Flint the Dwarf wrote:Awesome series. I think I finished book 5 a few months ago, Wolves of the Calla, but Kuso forbid me to read the next until I read Hearts in Atlantis which I couldn't find anywhere.
Oh, no, don't tell me that Hearts in Atlantis is going to be important in book 5. :x
I got HiA for christmas a while back and hate it. I'm a King fan, even, but wow is that a boring book. If that's where the Dark Tower series is headed, I'd say skip HiA and pick up Talisman - King and Straub (I think that's the name). There's a sequel to that, too, but the sequel sucked compared to the first book.

Libraries are nice. I'd like to go more often, if they didn't close so darn early. They should be open on Sundays. Nothing else is. :?

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:51 pm

I go through books so quickly what I'm reading now changes on a daily basis. Here's some recent ones and some I plan on reading shortly:

Huck Finn - I reread this every 6 or 7 years. Twain was a master and this was the best he wrote.

Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb - dry as all hell and keeping the Russian names straight takes effort for me. But still one of the most informative books about the early nuclear program and cold war I've ever read. This is actually a sequel of sorts to The Making of the Atomic Bomb but for some reason my local library doesn't have that one.

Cyteen, Finity's End, Rimrunner, and other books in Cherryh's merchanter-alliance saga

Counter-Insurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice - If you want to form an opinion on what should have been done in Iraq this is damned near required reading. I've only read part of it, I had to return it to the person I borrowed it from and haven't found another copy yet.

Pratchett's Discworld series - by far my favorite books of all time.

Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman and What Do You Care What Other People Think? - non-technical books about a very non-typical physicist

Tao Te Ching - The closest thing I'll get to a religion without vomiting

American Gods - Read Anansi Boys recently and wanna re-read this since I forgot half of it

HHGTTG - I got a complete collection of it for christmas so I waste time reading a chapter here or there when I'm on the shitter or the like. I've read it far to often to find it funny or even interesting anymore. It's just a way to waste down time so to speak.

The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire - I always meant to read this. I always plan on reading it in the near future. I haven't yet. Maybe I'll get to it soon...

Rendezvous with Rama - One of the three best sci-fi books I've ever read. Too bad he fucked it all up by writing sequels.

The Mote in Gods Eye - Another of the three best sci-fi books. Another one that got totally fucked up in the sequel

A Wrinkle in Time - Yeah, it's a kids book. So what?

The Phantom of the Opera - Work won't allow me to bring in paper books. They do give me internet access. So I grabbed the first thing on Project Gutenberg that sounded interesting.

That's enough, that probably covers the last couple month and next few month of reading for me.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:58 pm

Arigatomina wrote:Oh, no, don't tell me that Hearts in Atlantis is going to be important in book 5. :x
I got HiA for christmas a while back and hate it. I'm a King fan, even, but wow is that a boring book. If that's where the Dark Tower series is headed, I'd say skip HiA and pick up Talisman - King and Straub (I think that's the name). There's a sequel to that, too, but the sequel sucked compared to the first book.
Talisman and Black House. I accidentally read Black House first, and frankly I loved it. But it ruined parts of the Talisman for me. But both are great books with relations to the Dark Tower series, I think.

And, no, HiA has nothing to do with book 5. I did see the HiA movie, and apparently the group of people that were hunting Anthony Hopkins' character play a part in book 6. I didn't ask too much why I needed to read HiA.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm

[quote="Nessephanie"]
Stephen King's Dark Tower series (on book 4 at the moment. :3)/quote]

I'm currently re-reading these, such an epic series : up :
Also just got into his new book, Lisey's Story, which is a refreshing change from some of his latest works, which I find really lacking compared to his early stuff. (Gold mines btw, only books I've ever read multiple times were his early ones)
Also just finished the third of Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series, no disappointment there, anxiously awaiting the next of Frankenstein >_>

I also picked up Next, Micheal Chrichton's new book, I'll probably open it up when I'm ready for a little heavier reading. :P

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Currently finishing up Lawrence Lessig's "Free Culture: How Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity". Title should be quite self-explanatory.

Next on the list is Danielewski's "House of Leaves", on Orwell's insistence.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:27 pm

Otohiko wrote:Next on the list is Danielewski's "House of Leaves", on Orwell's insistence.
Gah, I've been looking everywhere for that. /me steals O:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Dude, go to Chapters (the big one next to Rideau). They have like 50 copies of the beast :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 pm

House of Leaves is awesome :up:

I'm uhh, readin' some Shakespeare and some Marlowe :P

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Moonlight Soldier wrote: some Shakespeare
And more specifically, praytell?

(a bit of a Shakespeare fan, myself) :roll:

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Moonlight Soldier wrote:House of Leaves is awesome :up:
I bought it for my brother who lives in Japan. It was a revised version, though, but it looked pretty classy. And a friend of mine has his copy signed by Danielewski. :o
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “General Discussion”