People whining about others stealing their AMVs...

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Arigatomina wrote:Demoralize your amv hobby, demean your fellow editors, and always remember that you're not doing anything important or special.
Wow. A woman who understands me. I thought this would never happen. Will you marry me?
Too much pride, maybe, but they never made a practice of preaching "what you do is crap, stop caring about it."
Actually you're taking the wrong message. The message is "what THE PLAGIARIZERS are doing is crap, stop caring about it". I don't recall anyone seriously saying it was good that people claim credit for videos they didn't make. However unless it is a case where the person received clear benefit from your work, EG they use a video land a video editing job, then it's just a case of some idiot trying to get a bigger e-penis and is that really worth you getting upset about? Bad mouth the fucker in his videos comments. Mark it as violating the tubes terms of service. Forget about it. It isn't worth more concern than that.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 pm

godix wrote:Wow. A woman who understands me. I thought this would never happen. Will you marry me?
Ah, your wife might not like that and I'm not big on threesomes unless it's guyxguyxgirl. :cry:
Actually you're taking the wrong message. The message is "what THE PLAGIARIZERS are doing is crap, stop caring about it". I don't recall anyone seriously saying it was good that people claim credit for videos they didn't make.
In this thread, maybe. But I've seen plenty of people posting comments such as "you're stealing someone else's footage and music, you're just as bad as them, get over yourself" and "you cut up cartoons in your free time, go stick your head in a toilet and flush." It's a common theme. I've seen it so much in Gen AMV about org-hosted vids I went and ranted all over my journal to let off steam (privatized, of course). It's almost obligatory - someone takes too much pride in their work and complains about being ripped off, and an org member posts about how it's a crap hobby to begin with so it doesn't matter. I figure it's an org forum thing. It was going on here long before That Site started getting popular. There's nothing you can do when it happens over there, but even when it happens here and the mods are obligated (rules) to delete the local videos, we get members posting to remind us that "they're just amvs, it's not like it matters."

Funny note, though, these are the same people who complain about bad amvs and dbz/naruto newbs. Can't take pride in your efforts, but you're still expected to produce quality. ;p

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:21 pm

A nice chunk of my vids have been stolen, almost all of which give me credit for them. Either way, I don't care. To me it's sort of a turn about is fair play kinda thing.

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm

I think you have a point, Ari, but I think both ends are a little extreme - "this is stupid and a waste of time" and "we are all special and beautiful snowflakes who need to be cherished and coddled no matter how hard we suck".

Middle ground? Please?

I don't know whether the "AMVs suck" attitude in the AMV community is nerd shame or backlash against the usual human trend of self-aggrandizement. Probably both. Although it's not unusual to savage bad examples of your chosen fanwork (bad fic, ugly cosplay, etc.), the vague self-deprecation is weird. Eh, who knows.

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:09 pm

Tsunami Jones wrote:A nice chunk of my vids have been stolen, almost all of which give me credit for them.
Giving credit makes a HUGE difference. I notice a lot of people swiping my stuff (mostly graphics) and if they give me credit and even perhaps link to me, I almost never care. Sometimes they swipe my stuff and don't give me credit, but if my URL is right on the graphic, I usually don't care. They see the URL there, they know everyone sees the URL there, so obviously they imply giving credit.

The ones who wipe off the URL, though, and claim they did the work—that really steams me.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Arigatomina wrote:
godix wrote:Wow. A woman who understands me. I thought this would never happen. Will you marry me?
Ah, your wife might not like that and I'm not big on threesomes unless it's guyxguyxgirl. :cry:
so you want to be double stuffed? :| hell, why not room for man #3
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 pm

Minion wrote:so you want to be double stuffed? :| hell, why not room for man #3
Actually, I'd rather be filming from the sidelines, but that's an entirely different thread. ^_^

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:17 am

Arigatomina wrote:
If she doesn't shave for a few days she could pass as a guy and if you think about it, who cares if she'd like it or not? You never met the woman so I doubt you care and I know I don't. Which means 2/3 the participants would be happy and two out of three ain't bad. So come on, marry me. I'll even get you a pair of those cute harem girl type pants.
In this thread, maybe. But I've seen plenty of people posting comments such as "you're stealing someone else's footage and music, you're just as bad as them, get over yourself" and "you cut up cartoons in your free time, go stick your head in a toilet and flush."
And to a certain extent it's true. AMVs aren't like other art forms that were mentioned. A fanfic author doesn't use the original creators writing, he just bases his stores in that fictional universe. Ditto for fanartist, the characters are someone elses idea but that art is all them. AMVs on the other hand use the ideas, music, and artwork of others. We clearly add our own ideas and originality but from a purely plagiaristic point of view we steal more from the original than other fan hobbies. Does this mean AMVs are inherently bad or something to be ashamed of? Of course not, I wouldn't be here if I thought so. But it does mean it's very hypocritical of us to steal so much that technically what we do is illegal but turn around and whine about being stolen from. I understand why people get ticked someone on the tube put up their work unattributed but if they get so pissed that they'll turn around and bitch about it here, on a totally different site, as if it was a high crime then they really need to evaluate the ethical and legal implications of what they're doing.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:20 am

Minion wrote:
Arigatomina wrote:
so you want to be double stuffed? :| hell, why not room for man #3
Because after years of being on this site I'm still not sure where we'd get man #2 from much less #3. Real men seem to be in short supply here. If you happen to know any kindly inform them that Arigatomina and I have a proposition for them.

Ch3aLs3A L!n@
Org Profile

Post by Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 am

godix - [color=red]galiz[/color] wrote:
Arigatomina wrote:
If she doesn't shave for a few days she could pass as a guy and if you think about it, who cares if she'd like it or not? You never met the woman so I doubt you care and I know I don't. Which means 2/3 the participants would be happy and two out of three ain't bad. So come on, marry me. I'll even get you a pair of those cute harem girl type pants.
Just :roll: wondering why Arigatomina doesn't like you :lol: well I'm not a type of harem for sure of that. :lol:

godix - [color=red]galiz[/color] wrote:
In this thread, maybe. But I've seen plenty of people posting comments such as "you're stealing someone else's footage and music, you're just as bad as them, get over yourself" and "you cut up cartoons in your free time, go stick your head in a toilet and flush."
And to a certain extent it's true. AMVs aren't like other art forms that were mentioned. A fanfic author doesn't use the original creators writing, he just bases his stores in that fictional universe. Ditto for fanartist, the characters are someone elses idea but that art is all them. AMVs on the other hand use the ideas, music, and artwork of others. We clearly add our own ideas and originality but from a purely plagiaristic point of view we steal more from the original than other fan hobbies. Does this mean AMVs are inherently bad or something to be ashamed of? Of course not, I wouldn't be here if I thought so. But it does mean it's very hypocritical of us to steal so much that technically what we do is illegal but turn around and whine about being stolen from. I understand why people get ticked someone on the tube put up their work unattributed but if they get so pissed that they'll turn around and bitch about it here, on a totally different site, as if it was a high crime then they really need to evaluate the ethical and legal implications of what they're doing.
yea in some point your right so i agree but what's the gud and better IDEA in that? Just keep your mouth shut up then watch other non-creator all the credits they get? :?

Return to “General Discussion”