People whining about others stealing their AMVs...

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Zarxrax wrote:But dammit, his username is "ZarxRax". Not only did he steal my amvs, he stole my name! Now I am so completely confused. Although he stole this stuff... I'm still getting credit for it... so I stole my own videos???
You're a clever one, Zarx.

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:09 am

Kalium wrote:I'm just sick and tired of hearing about it.
X eleventybillion

People need to deal with it themselves or shut up.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:40 am

The ultimate cause of the problem is people who think that chopping up cartoons to other people's music makes them special, important, or Famous On The Internet. If these people didn't exist, we wouldn't get the whining, not least because the people who are pathetic enough to try to achieve such by jacking others' vids wouldn't exist.

I don't care who jacks my videos, or where they put them. Every repost evangelizes the music further, which is the primary purpose of like 80% of my catalog. If it makes some unrelated 14-year-old's e-peen bigger, well, that's the cost of transmission.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 am

meh. i cared a little the first 2 or 3 times i saw my stuff on boochsack. now idgaf.
have you ever watched one of the top subscribed video blogs? how can i take these guys serriously :/
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:43 am

The only time I have cared about somebody stealing my videos, is when a snot nosed girl stole TKO and entered it into an AMV contest under her own name ... though she was promply caught .... :roll:

God, why would you take that POS anyway ... atleast send something good of mine ... cripes ...
:P

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am

Hmmm . . . I'm obviously totally out of the loop, because plagiarism is something I never liked, and I wouldn't call it "whining" to be upset when it happens to you. I must be totally out of the loop with this one, because I don't get it. I once had a teacher plagiarize an article I wrote online and yes, I was pretty upset about it and raised a bit of a fuss. Huh.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 am

elvirasweeney wrote:I must be totally out of the loop with this one, because I don't get it.
Nah, it's an amv-only-loop. You don't get that sort of attitude in other fan-hobbies. Just amvs.

It's fueled by this idea that we're just "chopping up cartoons to other people's music" and so there's nothing to be proud of of, no effort involved, no creative input to take credit for. People in this hobby actually think everyone else in this hobby is shit, wasting their time pretending what they do is anything but a waste of time, and yet they're still hanging around with big heads. It's contradicting, but that's how it is. If you take pride in your hobby, you're a dumbass. If you take pride in mocking people who take pride in their hobby, you've got your head on straight for not thinking it's anything but chopping up cartoons to other people's music. The thought process doesn't have to make sense as long as understand how to act in public. Demoralize your amv hobby, demean your fellow editors, and always remember that you're not doing anything important or special. Then when someone rips off your effort you can shrug and sniff because it's no more significant than when another dirty kid on the playground steals your mudpies and gives them away like he patted them himself. It's just mud. What's there to get upset about? Stupid people. Psh.

Note that plagiarism is still looked down on in most other hobbies. Fanfiction and fanart had the PPP - because unlike amv editors they took pride in their contributions to the hobby. Too much pride, maybe, but they never made a practice of preaching "what you do is crap, stop caring about it." I think that's one of the reasons the amv community is so bad compared to other fan communities. It's the only hobby I've ever seen where you're encouraged to believe you and your fellow hobbiests are morons doing nothing and caring nothing about what you're doing. It's no wonder newbies have more fun. They haven't been taught not to care yet. :roll:

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:17 pm

I think it's an interesting issue, because I don't see it as not caring about the videos, surely everyone cares a little for something they create. I think what we're looking at here though is the number of people complaining to the forums that someone has 'stolen' their video. Sure I care if somebody takes one of my videos and credits it to themselves, but what does bitching about it to everyone you see going to do? There's not a thing the people in these forums can really do about someone who puts someone else's video on BoobTube, except maybe post mean comments, which the uploader can choose to delete. It's not that we don't care, it's that these people expect something from us, and we are either incapable of providing it, or recognize that it happens so damn often that it's utterly pointless to try and stop every instance of it.

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:26 pm

Thank you so much for explaining it, Arigatomina, because I was getting rather confused.

You're right about other fandoms—they do take more pride in their work. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

On another message board I frequent, two fan fiction authors have recently had their work (not fan fic, obviously) picked up by publishers, and are now published authors. This all came about because they had enough interest in writing and started doing it as a geeky hobby. They got input, critiques and support from fellow fans, which helped them improve their skills. Now they've made it to the "big time." It may have never happened were it not for their geeky fan hobby! :D

The same thing happens with fan art, blah blah blah. The hobby of makng fan works itself is fun and something to be proud of, but also, it's undeniable that these activities (writing, art, video) can be a "stepping stone" to something more. It's a good thing. People should be proud of it.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:06 pm

Zarxrax, see what you have started .... :P

Return to “General Discussion”