good editor for mac osx

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
smokey-waters
Org Profile

good editor for mac osx

Post by smokey-waters » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:35 am

well im looking for for a good editor that doesnt need to convert teh files before editing. at the moment i am using imovie hd and the project files end up as at least 4gb for one 170mb anime and i dont have enough space to keep the project files for if i ever want to edit them. does anyone know ofany free or otherwise?

Thanks for your help

Smokey-Waters.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:19 pm

4GB per anime episode is quite small. If that's really too much space for you, you need to buy a second hard drive. When you use DVD footage (which you should be using instead of raws), those files will be even bigger.

The reason you can't edit your raws directly is because editing programs are not SUPPOSED to edit in DivX. It's not an editing codec. It's a final export codec. There is no point editing in DivX, and you shouldn't try to.

And to answer your question, no, upgrading to Final Cut Pro will not let you edit your raws without converting. Besides, FCP costs 10x more than a new hard drive (A 160GB drive for only $100).

This page explains editing codecs and lossless vs. lossy specifically for Mac users.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

smokey-waters
Org Profile

Post by smokey-waters » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:45 am

well when using windows, movie maker can edit the divx files fine without taking up large amounts of space.. all i want is a very simple program that works in a similar way to that and i dont want to upgrade my hardware if i can possibly avoid it.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 am

don't edit with divx. this applies to all editing software
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:00 pm

smokey-waters wrote:well when using windows, movie maker can edit the divx files fine without taking up large amounts of space.. all i want is a very simple program that works in a similar way to that and i dont want to upgrade my hardware if i can possibly avoid it.
Like I said, it doesn't really exist on a Mac. If you get a purely DivX encoded AVI sometimes Final Cut Pro will accept it. Editing it is slow as hell and crashes half the time. If it's using XviD (which most raws are), forget it. If you want to edit DivX/XviD that badly, use Windows Movie Maker.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:08 pm

It's kinda ironic how a Mac is a pretty good tool for video editing, but they're pretty crummy for AMVs due to the lack of neurotic software tools for converting playback formats to editing formats like the PC features. o.o

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 pm

I have made entire videos with imported XviD or DivX sources. Sometimes you don't have a choice. (I was making a live-action video and was using downloaded sources, but bought the DVD the second it came out. I always buy the DVD.)

I just trimmed the to clip I wanted to use in QT Pro, which then saved it as a MOV file. (But who are we kidding, it was still XviD.) I imported it into FCP and while it took time to render, it behaved just fine. For the most part, it wasn't bad. I think I had one time where an XviD/DivX clip was giving me trouble, and it may have been because I was using DV clips in the same project. I can't remember.

It definitely is not the best way, and I don't do it that way anymore. Now, if I have to use DivX/XviD sources I open them up in MPEG Streamclip and convert them to DV and then import the DV clip into FCP. (And, I ALWAYS buy the DVD when it becomes available! So much better quality! :))

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:It's kinda ironic how a Mac is a pretty good tool for video editing, but they're pretty crummy for AMVs due to the lack of neurotic software tools for converting playback formats to editing formats like the PC features. o.o
http://www.mplayerhq.hu

If that's not a "neurotic software tool", I don't know what is.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:24 pm

trythil wrote:
DJ_Izumi wrote:It's kinda ironic how a Mac is a pretty good tool for video editing, but they're pretty crummy for AMVs due to the lack of neurotic software tools for converting playback formats to editing formats like the PC features. o.o
http://www.mplayerhq.hu

If that's not a "neurotic software tool", I don't know what is.
But. mplayer is not a "Tool" :P It's a neurotic player .... Geez, kids these days :wink:

smokey-waters
Org Profile

Post by smokey-waters » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 am

having looked around i want to use final cut pro but i cant afford it does anyone know of adownload where i could get a trail or something from?

Return to “Mac Software”