WMM: HELP!!! - Codec problem

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
pinky75910
Org Profile

WMM: HELP!!! - Codec problem

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:49 am

All of a sudden, files I was able to import before, it's refusing to import now. Says something about a codec problem. HELP! Unless I can figure this out, I can amv no more!
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 am

I think it's just AVI files. I can watch the files, I just can't get them imported.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 am

are they encoded in XVID or DIVX?

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:53 am

Divx I think. I tried dling the latest divx codec, but no good.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:10 am

dont use DIVX or XVID files in your video editor... (they dont work well in ANY editor)

if anything get Virtualdub Mod and convert them to lagarith or huffyuv, or another codec that is more compatable with your editor

but beware Vdub makes large files... so you might want to clip them down to scenes, and remove the audio..

either way... good luck, and this is pointed out in the stickie at the top.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 am

autraya wrote: Scintilla of the infinite patience
I'll change that to
JaddziaDax of the infinite patience if you keep this up :lol:
new banzors in the making :p

BlaCk_PeArL_27
Org Profile

Post by BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:49 am

JaddziaDax wrote:dont use DIVX or XVID files in your video editor... (theyto dont work well in ANY editor)

if anything get Virtualdub Mod and convert them to <s>lagarith or</s> huffyuv, or another codec that is more compatable with your editor

but beware Vdub makes large files... so you might want to clip them down to scenes, and remove the audio (no audio is much gud to import in WMM)..

either way... good luck, and this is pointed out in the stickie at the top.
but be aware the that sometimes WMM will crash just to let you know ;)

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 am

why do you hav lag crossed out? other than being a slower, it's superior to huffy
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:55 am

Minion wrote:why do you hav lag crossed out? other than being a slower, it's superior to huffy
WMM doesn't like lagarith. It's the *only* codec that crashes my copy of wmm 2.0 (compared to wmv, mpg, xvid, divx, and the preferred huffyuv). Maybe it's a memory issue, maybe it's my comp, but I'd recommend huffyuv as well. Try it out if you want, but beware - just when you think it's as good as huffyuv you add one too many clips to the timeline and bam, lockup. [note: It's the same problem Showbiz has with huffyuv - it has a clip limit if you use that codec, can't handle reading them after a certain point.]

That said, I'm starting to like lagarith for use in Premiere more than I did huffyuv. Much slower scanning through the clips, but the space saving is nice and Premiere 6.0 doesn't lock up like wmm does. ;p

BlaCk_PeArL_27
Org Profile

Post by BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:30 pm

Arigatomina wrote:
Minion wrote:why do you hav lag crossed out? other than being a slower, it's superior to huffy
WMM doesn't like lagarith. It's the *only* codec that crashes my copy of wmm 2.0 (compared to wmv, mpg, xvid, divx, and the preferred huffyuv). Maybe it's a memory issue, maybe it's my comp, but I'd recommend huffyuv as well. Try it out if you want, but beware - just when you think it's as good as huffyuv you add one too many clips to the timeline and bam, lockup. [note: It's the same problem Showbiz has with huffyuv - it has a clip limit if you use that codec, can't handle reading them after a certain point.]

That said, I'm starting to like lagarith for use in Premiere more than I did huffyuv. Much slower scanning through the clips, but the space saving is nice and Premiere 6.0 doesn't lock up like wmm does. ;p
:roll: well it always happen to me that stuff before but instead of watching or playing it in the timeline. I try to play it in it's place before I add the clips in the timeline so it won't crash. Btw.... one more thing if you finished all you clips to convert in huffyuv. I say remove the CCCP so you can play the song and clips in WMM without crashing or locked up.

Kinda used to it I guess :roll: though I have to remove some codec if I want to save it as .wmv

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”