Hearing sound in After Effects

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
RDphantom
Org Profile

Hearing sound in After Effects

Post by RDphantom » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 pm

I have edited a video in Premiere Pro and then imported the Premiere project file into After Effects to add some special effects. My video plays fine, but I can't get the audio to play.

All audio options are checked on. I used RAM preview and that didn't work, and using the "." key worked once, but not again.

My clips are in uncompressed AVI and my audio is WAV - both work fine together in Premiere Pro, but I have read in the Adobe forums that projects with AVI footage won't play audio as well. I opened some MPG, WMV and MOV files with audio and they played the audio and video together just fine in RAM preview. Is there a way to get AE to play AVI video and WAV audio together? Do I need to use a different audio format?

Thanks so much for any help,
RD

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:16 am

by "RAM preview" are you pressing 0 key on the numpad to render and play the workspace?

BauziOLD
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by BauziOLD » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:23 am

Purge wrote:by "RAM preview" are you pressing 0 key on the numpad to render and play the workspace?
Yeah that should work...

Well if not: Demux your audio from the video stream.
Open VDM and click on streamlist to export your .wav audio. There you have. A single soundfile in wav.
but I have read in the Adobe forums that projects with AVI footage won't play audio as well.
If this is true... The thing about should work.
ImageImageImage

RDphantom
Org Profile

Post by RDphantom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 am

Purge wrote:by "RAM preview" are you pressing 0 key on the numpad to render and play the workspace?
I have tried pressing the 0 key and clicking the RAM Preview button on the time controls. Both generate a preview with no sound, even though it says "Mixing audio for preview."
-Bauzi- wrote:Well if not: Demux your audio from the video stream.
Open VDM and click on streamlist to export your .wav audio. There you have. A single soundfile in wav.
I demuxed my sound from my clips while preparing my footage for Premiere, and the song file I'm using is in WAV form already. They show up in AE as seperate tracks and files from the video.

So is is just a thing that AE won't play audio with AVI footage, or am I just missing something?

RD

reddragon_syndicate
Org Profile

Post by reddragon_syndicate » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:58 pm

a ctrl + drag (i think ctrl dragging the mouse) gives sound for lil editing.(My stuff is always in AVI and Wav) It did in AE 6.5 but I never imported the project files.
So is is just a thing that AE won't play audio with AVI footage, or am I just missing something?
No this shouldnt be the case (In my experience anyway). I have noticed at times the audio that is pulled in isnt always enabled.

see if ctrl dragging gives you anything (its a bit more tedious)

RedDragon
[MOD17: Removed 341 instances of the word "please" and 55 exclamation marks.]

RDphantom
Org Profile

Post by RDphantom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 pm

RedDragon,
reddragon_syndicate wrote:a ctrl + drag (i think ctrl dragging the mouse) gives sound for lil editing.(My stuff is always in AVI and Wav) It did in AE 6.5 but I never imported the project files.
I tried ctrl clicking in my and it didn't do anything for the audio. If fact, it only played one frame and then stopped, even though I was still dragging the time indicator.

So I imported an actual AVI file, not just a project file, and did the same thing and it didn't work for sound. Neither did RAM preview, the "0" key or the "." key. So it's not just because it's a project file.
No this shouldnt be the case (In my experience anyway). I have noticed at times the audio that is pulled in isnt always enabled.
What do you mean by enabled? I have the audio buttons on the track on.

RD

Up In Flamez
Org Profile

Post by Up In Flamez » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:38 pm

try a mp3 file, because in AE 6.5 it wouldnt play .WAV files but it played mp3 fine

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:17 am

does the waveform show in the timeline?

double click the audio file in the window that lists all the files you are using for the project - does it play?

RDphantom
Org Profile

Post by RDphantom » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:35 am

uP|iN|fLaM3z, I did try an MP3 and it didn't play either. But thanks for the suggestion. AE seems to be very particular about music.
Purge wrote:does the waveform show in the timeline?
But Purge, you gave me some great advice! I looked for the waveform for my music and it didn't show up. So I re-ripped my song and imported it into my project and it played!! So maybe the song file was just corrupt or something. I'm so excited that it's working, thanks everyone for your suggestions and time :)

RD

Return to “Adobe Software”