Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Join Dates.

Post by SQ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:49 am

Join dates for this forum.
Do they matter?

Do you look at them to determine how you should treat someone if you haven't seen their name/don't remember it/for any reason at all?

I've been to at least 10 different forums and while they all have join dates somewhere, most of them don't have your joindate smacking people in the face like the .org does.

So, Discuss.

Join dates and our biased opinions/impressions/etc.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 am

special interest forums don't usually care about join dates. hobby based forums do.
that simple.
ramonesfan is the debunker of the "early join date demands respect" rule
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:39 am

If the person is speaking as an editor or as an amv "critic" then the join date is my first clue about how to take what they're saying.

Someone who has a really old join date (2000, 2001, 2002) probably remembers things about amvs that are "before my time". If they talk about things like trends and changes in the community, I tend to believe them more than I would if it were someone who joined yesterday. It's snap judgement. When someone comments on one of my vids and says something I don't like, I tend to put more weight on their opinion if it looks like they have more experience than me (from being here longer, and thus seeing more). I still probably won't change anything for them, but I won't argue as much as I would if it were someone who just joined.

Age is a factor, too. It's no coincidence that people who talk (type) like they're little kids tend to have recent join dates. Face it - if a person has been a member here for 6 years, he's probably older than 14. If I'm asking for advice, I'd go to the person with more experience. Experience comes with age more often than not.

On the flip side, when I read something really significant from a brand new member, I'm more impressed than I would be if it were written by someone who joined years ago. Same with videos - when someone can churn out excellence on their (seemingly) first try, it's more impressive. We expect more from those who've had years to practice. And if you've been here a few years, you're more likely to be jealous/ashamed when you're shown up by a "newbie" with no experience under his belt.

It doesn't matter off the forum because - aside from the journals - you probably won't ever talk to each other, or see who's most active, looked up to by his peers, etc. Even when you're downloading vids, if you use the search you probably won't pay attention to the join date on their member profile page. People don't even pay attention to the date the video was made. It's not likely they'll look at the creator's join date.

Join date is like a beard. Do you treat gray-haired men differently from babyskinned little boys? I do. At least until I get to know them personally and find out if they're really as different as they look. You can't judge appearances by looking at avatars, so the join date (and user name for the dbz people) gives you your first impression.

Post count, on the other hand, is pointless. Useless spammers are more likely to have a high post count than anyone else. It's a good thing that page isn't linked up front anywhere or...yeah, we might have people getting the wrong impression about our most active posters. :P

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:43 am

Arigatomina wrote: Eloquence

Dammit Ari, you need to stop reading my mind here. :wink:

I'll agree with pretty much everything here, and pretend that I can say it half as well.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: Join Dates.

Post by dokidoki » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:49 am

SQ wrote:I've been to at least 10 different forums and while they all have join dates somewhere, most of them don't have your joindate smacking people in the face like the .org does.
Do they use phpBB? It seems to be on by default in phpBB. It could be turned off, but I don't recall it raised as a problem, unlike the post count.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:35 am

they're(the different forums) a mix between phpbb or invision. They have post counts in the normal profiles, but not underneath avatars(usually).

I am not saying this is a problem, it was the only thing that popped into my head when I was thinking "The donator's forum needs a new thread so we can talk about something slightly new."
StandardQuip

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 am

Anyone who joined after 2005 I sneer at and treat with disdain. Anyone who joined before 2005 but after me, I first evaluate based on grammar and accordance to my opinion. Anyone who joined before me, I consider ancient and outdated and thus obsolete.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:50 am

Join dates are an irrelevant variable in a decision as to weather or not to shun person "A"

The factors that are relevant are

E(rr is human but this is ridiculous): The amount of egregious spelling errors.

F(ail): The amount of bad grammar errors.

G(et back to AOL): The amount of Non-Satirical "IM / Noob speak" (for a lack or something better to name it)

K(ill me now): The amount of unnecessary emoticons.

W(eeaboo): The amount of random or incorrect usage of Japanese words or phrases.

S(erious Business): The lack of understanding overt sarcasm, or things that are obviously related to humor.

So in simpler terms.

If E+F = ESL than end
else
if E+F+G+K+W+S>Monkey then
A=NOOB

if NOOB
then roll eyes, and or, ridicule
end

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:10 pm

Flint the Dwarf wrote:Anyone who joined after 2005 I sneer at and treat with disdain. Anyone who joined before 2005 but after me, I first evaluate based on grammar and accordance to my opinion. Anyone who joined before me, I consider ancient and outdated and thus obsolete.
x2 on all points :rofl:

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:30 pm

Why is 2005 the defining point?
StandardQuip

Return to “General Discussion”