The Prestige (spoiler warning)

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

The Prestige (spoiler warning)

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:50 am

I know it's kinda late for a discussion about this movie, but has anybody else seen it? I'd been wanting to see it for months and finally caught it at a second-run theatre last week.

I have to say that it turned out even better than I had expected. It does a really good job telling the story in a non-linear fashion. (I suppose it has to, if you were to think of the entire movie as a magic trick.)

The rivalry between the two main characters was intense enough to make me cringe at their actions toward each other. :/

Tesla's cloning machine made me raise an eyebrow, but I was able to buy it. Not so for others, I hear. :P

Anybody else have thoughts?

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: The Prestige (spoiler warning)

Post by dwchang » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 am

I've seen it and it or The Departed was probably the best movie I saw last year. Then again, I am a Christopher Nolan fan.
jasper-isis wrote:Tesla's cloning machine made me raise an eyebrow, but I was able to buy it. Not so for others, I hear. :P
Yeah that was a bit out there, but I am fine with "weird ideas" if they lead to an intriguing movie and that was the case here.

On a related note, some of the things in the movie were true. Tesla did die a poor and disgraced man due to his rivalry with Edison. In fact, they recently made a discovery in wireless power (i.e. you could run your notebook and it would get power from an outlet without a cord) and they think if Telsa's ideas were more widely accepted, this discovery would've happened YEARS ago.
/Nerd

Anyway, yeah good movie and I recommend it to just about anyone. The Departed on the otherhand, only if you're a Goodfellas fan :P
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:23 am

the trailer looked interesting, but thats why it's a trailer, i figured. just show the viewer some things that don't suck in the movie.
so, no. i didn't see it. if enough people say it was good, i may give it a second glance though
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: The Prestige (spoiler warning)

Post by godix » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:35 am

dwchang wrote:On a related note, some of the things in the movie were true. Tesla did die a poor and disgraced man due to his rivalry with Edison. In fact, they recently made a discovery in wireless power (i.e. you could run your notebook and it would get power from an outlet without a cord) and they think if Telsa's ideas were more widely accepted, this discovery would've happened YEARS ago.
Assuming this is the same as a recent article I was reading about wireless power it has everything to do with vibration and little to do with Tesla's ideas. Many of Tesla's ideas from his later life, including wireless power, were explored in depth by researchers and to date the only thing that has really come from them is a semi-major plot point of Serial Experiments Lain. After he became a bankrupt disgrace Tesla was an absolute fruitcake. Brilliant, sure. A visionary, of course. Absolutely batshit insane, hell yeah. Of course this describes most real geniuses. We are all standing on the shoulders of freaks and all that.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:07 am

I recall liking it, but feeling disappointment at the end.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:45 am

I really enjoyed it, and found it an interesting contrast (if anyone's seen it) to The Illusionist, both really interesting movies and fun to watch, but with different takes on the same/similar theme.

Though I'm not all that great a judge of movies, as I find I can suspend my disbelief in pretty much any cut and paste job (I got totally lost in The Grudge 2, that say anything? :P) but yeah, definately up there as a favourite from this year.

[Kristyrat]

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:43 pm

I wonder if the Hugh Jackman lookalike they used in the movie is actually a professional Hugh Jackman lookalike in real life.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:I wonder if the Hugh Jackman lookalike they used in the movie is actually a professional Hugh Jackman lookalike in real life.
I wonder if the Hsien Lee lookalike they used in the movie is actually a professional Hsien Lee lookalike in real life.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 pm

From what I've read/heard, Tesla was indeed pretty crazy. They didn't know some of his quirks in the movie, such as his intense fear of germs and, uh, all spherical things.

Edison never showed Tesla any mercy, either. Recall the scene in the movie where Tesla was demoing a machine at some engineering show, and a man was freaking out and calling his machine dangerous? Apparently Edison would publicly electrocute dogs and cats using Tesla's technology in order to scare the public into thinking it was extremely dangerous. Edison also had an assistant invent the electric chair using AC power for further propaganda. :| It would seem that Edison's sabotage of Tesla's work site in the movie wasn't uncharacteristic at all.
dwchang wrote:
Kusoyaro wrote:I wonder if the Hugh Jackman lookalike they used in the movie is actually a professional Hugh Jackman lookalike in real life.
I wonder if the Hsien Lee lookalike they used in the movie is actually a professional Hsien Lee lookalike in real life.
Haha, indeed, they were really played by one and the same.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:43 pm

I liked the movie. Moreso because I watched it, and was like...BOOO, I totally have this figured out, but there was the one twist I didn't catch on to.
That twist being that there was twins~!
I like working backwards into a movie and seeing all the clues that lead up to twists. >_>

It was a refreshing storyline too. I haven't seen the Illusionist though, so I can't compare.

Return to “General Discussion”