What did/are you go(ing) to college for?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm

Uhh, I'm not rich. I make $6.35 an hour and am $3000 in debt. All of which I can pay off now once I get around to it.

And once I pay that off, U of Iowa will release my transcript, enabling me to get some scholarships, hopefully. But considering I'm a caucasian male, that closes about 75% of them. Assuming I get back in school, I think I'm going for music production and business. I considered teaching, but I think I'd get sick of that quickly. I've also considered a medical career, but not something that requires a PhD cuz I don't think I could afford it. So we'll see.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Syaoran of the Light
Org Profile

Post by Syaoran of the Light » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:33 pm

im currently doing National Diploma in media at filton college in england but before this i did 1st Diploma in media, ABC Course (Media A Level 3) and a Level 3 diploma in website and design.

o.o tho im doing the media so i can be a editor for anime adverts and trailers in japan.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:19 pm

I will graduate next year with a Bachelor of Journalism with an English concentration.

Right now, I have analytical reporting, introduction to broadcast, Shakespeare, Children's Literature and introduction to Japanese.

I can tie certain AMV aspects to my field and some techy stuff, but it's really just a hobby :P

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:21 pm

I studied forestry. It made sense, thanks to the fact that I was a firefighter at the time and worked for the forest service.

Then.... stuff happened, more stuff happened.. and... well you get the idea. I wound up as a school teacher, teaching computers.

Don't feel bad if you're not rich, I never was. I always had/have a strong work ethic though, so I've never had a hard time getting jobs or learning new skills when I need to.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:23 pm

madbunny wrote: Don't feel bad if you're not rich, I never was. I always had/have a strong work ethic though, so I've never had a hard time getting jobs or learning new skills when I need to.
Rofl I have no motivation whatsoever any more.

But I remember when I did, and it was fun. =3 So I'm glad you've got it.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:29 pm

I graduated this past May with a B.A. in mathematics and a minor in computer science.

If there was one good thing about going to a cheap state school (besides the excellent academics, believe it or not), it was the free ride due to my SAT scores and class rank coming in.

However, I failed at getting into CMU's Ph.D. program in mathematical finance despite graduating summa cum laude and getting 800 on the math part of the general GRE. Oh well.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

*inverse*
Org Profile

Post by *inverse* » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Ugh, I'm anything but rich. I'm paying for my tuition and my car on part-time hours. I'll admit, my first job was at a McDonalds, and I was there for 4 whole years. I have a different job now (retail, as I swore I'd never serve food again), but I still make the same. Yay for minimum wage ^^;

Anyway, about the school stuff, I took a one-year program for a certificate in office administration. I used up all my scholarship/academic funds, and I hated the bookkeeping, but it was a worthwhile experience. I passed, but unfortunately part-time work in that field isn't available for me right now.

Currently, I'm a full-time college student in the 'New Media Communications & Design' program (something I'm actually interested in).

Second semester starts tomorrow, with Design History and Writing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:28 pm

I am currently a Sophmore in general studies in order to get an associates in Computer Engineering to then get a BA in the same area in order to be a network engineer/administrator. Oh yeah, and working on the certifications for such things as well.

And for the record, I've been in college since 2002. If THAT is any indicator at how quickly I'm taking this stage of my life and professional development.

But in all honesty I want to be a novel author. Of course, I need to get published first, and I really need to have money to live while writing and trying to get published, so that's where the degree comes in at.
ImageImageImageImage

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:37 am

I'm a first year at the University of Virginia, currently looking to pursue pharmacy school somewhere else after 2-4 undergrad years. My courses tend to focus in the biochemistry area for now.

The non-science requirements for pharm schools, however, are more flexible, so I've been able to take a few courses that just sound interesting :P. So far I've tried a course in "theology, ethics, and health care" and a social psychology course, both of which turned out to be very rewarding. This coming semester I'm taking a course titled "Current Issues in Intellectual Property." :o Should be interesting.

Money wise, eh, I get by. My parents refuse to pay for anything but tuition while I'm in school (not even textbooks :(), so I'm pretty much living off the three grand I earned working in an office last summer. I'm learning to budget my money and I suppose that's a good thing.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:48 am

XD I started out with 3 grand too! First thing that went out of my budget was anime. Very quickly. D:

As for textbooks, you could always try half.com and/or ebay.com but at my school it's rare we even open most of the textbooks, so I've decided to stop buying them alltogether. =/
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Return to “General Discussion”