Oto in Motherland: a (huge) photo log

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Senate Square, with the Bronze Horseman just out of view behind the trees

The exit?

Just one more picture!
Saviour-on-the-Blood in the centre, Palace Square on the left, very far on the right – the white rising spires of Smolny Cathedral

Coming down

Snapping a picture as I go, catching the Ismailovsky cathedral which would burn a couple of weeks later.

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm

The Bronze Horseman

St. Isaac’s Cathedral, again
I’ll never get over the impression of mass it gives. A fantastic building.

Richly-decorated house on Manezhny Boulevard

For some reason this one stuck out in my memory – a gate into nowhere (that is, I remembered exactly where it was from back in the day, and had no trouble finding it – it’s not an official landmark or anything)

The old historic storehouse complex New Holland, presently under reconstruction by a French architect

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm

Moika river

Building

Moika again

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Mariinsky Theater, also known as Kirov Theatre, home of the most famous Ballet troupe in the world

Construction site for 2nd hall of the Mariinsky Theater – except the project for it was scrapped. They’re still clearing it, waiting for a new project to be approved.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Synagogue

Possibly the neatest and best-maintained building in the city

I’ve now entered Dostoyevski’s Petersburg, vividly described in Crime and Punishment. Dostoyevski was very exact about geographical detail; I wasn’t, but the overall area still gives the same impressions.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Oto in the land of Dostoyevski

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Beer can

Yoink!
Actually, that was my beer all along :P

Birds

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:26 pm

Old fire tower

Griboedov Canal

Old houses, again a Dostoyevskian vibe

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:26 pm

Along Griboedov Canal

Another foot bridge

Buildings along the canal

Tuborg bottles

Buildings

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:27 pm

VAZ-Zhiguli car, of old vintage!
With a hilarious sign – “Old Russian”, a swipe at “New Russian”, a term for the noveau-riche elite (whom I dearly despise)

Bridge

Street

Building with a tower

*to be continued*

Return to “General Discussion”