Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:09 pm

Bridge

Kirill wonders if he can go under it…

…well?

Nope.

Can look at the water as much as you like, though

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Aurora

Aurora is a pre-dreadnought Protected Cruiser, built in 1899. She is one of the survivors of the infamous Battle of Tsushima, where the Russians were decisively crushed by the Imperial Japanese Navy; she served in World War I, and – the reason she was preserved all these years – fired the shot signaling the beginning of the main Communist revolt in October 1917. The ship then served in WWII, was sunk by German bombers in shallow water, had her guns removed to serve in the counter-battery to the German siege guns in Leningrad; after the war she was repared and used as a training ship. Significantly overhauled in the 1980s, Aurora now stands as a museum ship, with an amazing career of over a century.

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Aurora, continued

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:10 pm

The bow of the Aurora

The river’s current makes it look like the ship is sailing forward!

The forward gun turret

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:10 pm

Aurora’s living quarters

There is little inside the aurora preserved in original state, which was disappointing. Even the museum exhibitions only take up a couple of rooms – wonder what’s in the rest.

Aurora’s captain Yegoriev and an actual shell hole left by Japanese gunfire at the battle of Tsushima, where Yegoriev – along with 5,000 Russian sailors and many ships – was killed
Japan only lost one torpedo boat and a couple of hundred men in that battle.

Various Soviet insignia on the Aurora

Model Kiev-class aircraft carrier on exhibition

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:11 pm

Aurora’s lifeboats

Heading back now, Peter and Paul’s fortress in the background

Trash in the Political History Museum backyard (formerly the Museum of the Revolution)

Mosque

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Mosque, continued
Certainly one of the most beautiful and elaborate buildings in the city

Japanese restaurant and some crap
Cheap Asian food places are a fad in Russia nowadays

A fountain – given to St. Petersburg by France in honour of the city’s 300th anniversary in 2003

New construction in an old area

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

The reason we headed this way was because I remembered that, as an exception to my otherwise strictly-Vasilievsky-island-upbringing, I lived in this part of town for about a year at age 6

Poor tree

This is a legendary confectionery store door!

I’ll explain: this is near where I lived at the time. Naturally, we went here to buy sweets….

I went in this time too

But the story is, once I stayed near that door and, for some reason or other, I accidentally put my hand somewhere I shouldn’t have… result – I crushed my finger. Ow, I can still feel the pain!

…but, for a picture, I couldn’t resist:
:lol:

The door is EXACTLY the same as it was a whole 16 years ago! I was so happy at finding it I even bought ice cream and cookies for my grandmother at the store. Both were good.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Backyard, near where I lived at age 6

Looking shady yet?

Alleyways and arches

I loved this place to death for its athmosphere. Classic poor man’s St. Petersburg – almost Dostoyevsky’s Petersburg
(I say “almost” because I’ll have pictures of actual areas from Dostoyevsky’s novels, esp. Crime and Punishment)

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Nothing more depressing than a huge, windowless, multi-storey wall!

The tiny courtyard of the building where I lived then

The door

*to be continued*

Return to “General Discussion”