guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:34 pm

How do u people type that fast? :S
is it part of some conspiracy?

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Well, I wouldn't go to that extremes, but I am to equal parts an unbeliever in conspiracy theories and politically-affiliated information sources. But I wouldn't go disregarding the latter, so much as taking it with a grain of salt. I would be ashamed to call myself a skeptic if I either rejected or accepted something outright.

As for it becoming apparent in the next 50 years, I see someone is optimistic enough to think that civilization will last that long :roll:

(only half-serious there)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

starcat09
Org Profile

Post by starcat09 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Instead of making AMVs we take brainwashing courses that make our fingers move really fast. :O

But I'm afraid you didn't hear that...

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:34 pm

More about that radiation field - if you go on the theory that it only stops organics from passing through it, it can't be very strong. She doesn't argue that the mars exploration was hoaxed, just that they had to send machines because no living creatures could get through that field. That's not radiation in the 'normal' sense. Radiation in space - you think of solar flares, things that screw with your equipment even on earth. I don't know of any radation sources in space that would be fine for mechanical things, but deadly to humans. It's too particular - like it was designed solely to keep us planetbound, not minding if we send out our toys to look around as long as we don't try to escape ourselves.

Part of the whole "there's a radiation field that keeps us planet bound" is the idea that we were put here meant to stay here. Think of it as an antfarm. You can't study and poke at the critters if they can crawl out of the cage any time they want. My mom likes that analogy. Turns out she's a real wacko after all. ;p

Do you believe in aliens? I do.

I don't believe people have been abducted and then returned, and I don't believe a "superior race" would be terribly interested in us. But I really doubt this is the only planet in existence with life on it. And I do believe humans have left the planet and returned via space shuttles (field or no field). If we can do it, other things could.

My mom believes aliens really did land in Roswell. Yeah. I asked her why, when that's such a red herring, and she said it's because her uncle saw one. But there weren't any living survivors, just a wreckage and bodies. It's funny how she scoffs at those people who believe there might have been living aliens kept in secret, but she's convinced the landing itself was as real as anything.
Otohiko wrote:Conspiracy theorists often use a little trick which a lot of people fall for:

"If they say we're wrong, why don't they say something that would disprove our theory? We have disproved theirs!"
I like debunking theories like that. I think it's necessary. Because it's not the people making up the theories you have to worry about, it's the idiot masses who swallow anything they're given. They hear the "we have disproved theirs" and believe it on face value. And they're the ones who vote which people to put into power in the US. Scary. That's how we got another Bush for president. Kids are being taught that humans played with dinosaurs in their biology classes now, because Creationism was deemed a science in some states. All because no real scientists ever took them seriously. The courts never took them seriously in the past, but they are now, so scientists should be, too. In most cases it doesn't take much time to point out the massive amount of evidence that has been ignored (not disproven). Your average person never even hears about that evidence because the fanatics are the only ones talking.

Again, scary. But that's what makes it fun. ^^

So, Vietnam was for heroine, eh? Hear a new one every day. I can't wait to get my grandpa's reaction to that - he risked his life for dope money. :lol:

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Beowulf wrote: We invaded Vietnam so we could get a larger piece of the heroin trade that was coming out of it. Thats it.
:roll: That's frankly bullshit. I'm not saying that heroin had nothing to do with it, I'm just saying that putting the entire war down to it is ridiculous.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Re: conspiracy theories

Post by Kalium » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:11 pm

Arigatomina wrote:Any creationists on this site? Do you believe the dinosaurs died because they didn't fit on the ark?
I know of at least one. Given the sheer number of creationists running around, there are most likely going to be a few here. Now, if they would expose themselves, things might be more interesting.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:20 pm

I personally dread this sort of discussion (creationists vs. otherwise), not because it's not interesting but because I already know where it ends up going. I'm yet to see one that didn't end up with everyone inflamed and pissed at each other. Same reason I dread political discussions with obvious left and right participants.

As far as debunking, though, I think a measured approach is needed. Certainly when it approaches something on the level of being a common opinion, it needs to be countered. When it's out there in the minority, perhaps not bothering is the best strategy - the problem is that as soon as you try to disprove it, they jump and declare that "aha, we made them react - they're scared! look at how stupid their new proofs are!"
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:35 pm

Ok, I'm going to add one thing and one thing only at this time,

The field of radiation to which your mom reffers is not rediculous does exist, and is fairly strong from i know about radiation (which is not much)

It is known as the Van Allen Radiation Belt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Allen_radiation_belt

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:39 pm

Wikipedia wrote:In Tezuka Osamu's manga series "Astro Boy", Astro Boy uses the Van Allen Belt to destroy parasites from outer space.
If AstroBoy's Wrong I don't wanna be right.

starcat09
Org Profile

Post by starcat09 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:39 pm

It does exist! :O

But there's something on there that's also interesting:
Wikipedia wrote:Proponents of the Apollo Moon Landing Hoax have argued that space travel to the moon is impossible because the Van Allen radiation would kill or incapacitate an astronaut who made the trip. James Van Allen himself, now deceased (August 9, 2006), dismissed these ideas.In practice, Apollo astronauts who supposedly travelled to the moon spent very little time in the belts and would have received a harmless dose. Nevertheless NASA said that they deliberately timed Apollo launches, and used lunar transfer orbits that only skirted the edge of the belt over the equator to minimize the radiation. Astronauts who visited the moon would probably have a slightly higher risk of cancer during their lifetimes.

Return to “General Discussion”