Ripping DVD video without a DVD drive.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Ripping DVD video without a DVD drive.

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:13 am

I know this may seem stupid question but is it possible to rip DVD video from a DVD player, or is it only doable with a DVD drive in a comp?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:16 am

Well, you could buy a capture card, one with drivers available that ignore macrovision, but that would cost more than a DVD drive, be harder to use, and take more time, so basically, no.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:17 am

Hook the DVD player up to a capture card yes ;p

You have to worry about macrovision though :\ and the kwality will probably be teh suck compared to ripped footage.

~klinky

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:38 pm

well I have 2 capture cards, how can I tell if they ignore macrovision?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:42 pm

type in the model numbers/name + macrovision at yahoo

~klinky

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:52 pm

It's a ADS Technologies Instant DVD. I read a review that said that it does disable macrovision, I plan on giving it a test run in an hour or so to see if the review was true.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:06 pm

btw, what would I need to do to preserve qualty? And how much will be lost?

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:16 pm

I am guessing it'll look good enough for a AMV ;p

Uhh encode in HuffYUV for maxo quality savings.

Other then that use a good mjpeg codec or if the hardware supports a native codec use that :\

~klinky

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:19 pm

what about going uncompresed AVI, and then converting it using VDUB into a 700 meg DIVX vid?

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:22 pm

divx= teh bad :\

You probably can't do uncompressed AVI, you'd get dropped frames from so much data going through.

HuffYUV would better, and it would be best to keep it in HuffYUV and edit with that then it would to convert it to a divx file :\

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”