Oto in Motherland: a (huge) photo log

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:42 pm

One day, me and friend Kirill decided we want to go to Peterhof, the well-known summer residence of the Czars that's probably the main out-of-town attraction near St. Petersburg, often called "Russian Versailles". World Heritage site and all.

It's kind of the place where you'd go on school and family trips, but both of us haven't been there in ages, and then we remembered that there's a fast boat ferry service there that we'd go on when we were young kids but then it got too expensive.

So, we found out prices, which by Russian standards were kinda high ($15 or so one way), I put my 1000roubles (~$40) on the table and said "fuck it, we're going", and off we went.

Well, starting with the bus, of course.

Popular Russian multi-purpose vehicle, Gazelle, seen here in its most popular role - as a cheap privately-owned shuttle service.
The shuttles are often not up to mechanical standards and the drivers are often not properly licensed to drive a vehicle like that - and have insane driving habits - so the accident rate for these things is particularly atrocious.

I avoided them like the plague.

Cargo version of the same vehicle.

I guess I’d better introduce him properly…
Kirill Grunichev, college student, currently finishing up his final semester of Computer Engineering at the Leningrad Electro-Technical Institute. Runs a popular Russian abandonware site, avid gamer, lives at home with parents and 3 siblings. Is one of my 2 best friends along with Sergei Zavodsky (alluded to before).

I dragged Kirill out every other day during my trip since he was on vacation and would otherwise just sit there at his PC.
He had a preference for more 'visual stuff', so after Peterhof our venues changed more to subs, ships, trains and tanks rather than culture museums.

Even as recently as a few hours ago, I could be found playing games with him online :P

Another Gazelle

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:43 pm

Lawn tractor on the bluntly named "Bolshoi Prospect" ("Big Avenue")

Bolshoi Prospect at 8th/9th Line

The Spit of Vasilievsky Island, smack in the middle of town.
On the left is one of the two decorative Rostral Columns, commemorating Russia’s naval victories.

In centre – Peter and Paul’s Fortress, the oldest and most central building in St. Petersburg. The city began with it in 1703.

Winter palace under repair. Ouch.
If it weren't for the contrast, it wouldn't be that ugly.

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Waiting for the boat (to take us to Peterhof) at the quay

Aboard

Random people
Sneaking in random people into my picture and making them sort of the focus became a hobby of mine later...

The speed boats, called "Meteor", go at maybe 100km/h. Image
People usually just sit, but there's a nice partially-open 'smoking deck' that you see in the rear part of it.

Myself and Kirill rushed it immediately, rigged up our photo equipment, and didn't leave it until the end of the 30-minute ride.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

The 'spit of the Vasilievsky Island' in the centre of St. Petersburg with the old stock market building (now Central Naval Museum) and the Rostral Columns (marking Russian naval victories against Sweden and Turkey).

The Palace Quay with its characteristic buildings, Winter Palace being just off the right edge of the picture. Most of them are taken up by the Hermitage archives. Yes, the ones that had stuff stolen from them while I was in town – I’m sure you’ve heard about that on the news.

More random people.

An old church on Vasilievsky Island.

Last bridge on the Small Neva.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

That building on Vasilievsky Island was seen in another picture before.

A Meteor parking area on the Small Neva

Exiting the Small Neva.

Another Meteor

Familiar part of Vasilievsky Island
(you should recognize that building from another photo)

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:44 pm

The area where I lived and where some of the previous photos were taken, viewed from the gulf.

Interesting little ship, must be a historical replica

Kirill
clicking away, etc.

I'll post his take on the same trip later

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:45 pm

A dredging rig on the gulf. Image
Most of the sea near St. Petersburg is very shallow, averaging less than 10ft. So shipping lanes are constantly dredged.

A powerplant on the north shore of the gulf

Ships heading for St. Petersburg.

Approaching Peterhof.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Note the change in water color due to clouds.

Arrived at Peterhof.

The main channel from the palace at Peterhof to the sea.

First fountain?
That's supposed to be a dog chasing ducks.
It comes with sound effects. The sound effects are aweful. It sounds like metal cutting more than barking/quacking.

The tallest fountain is "Samson", depicting Samson ripping up a lion. WRY. Image
All the fountains at Peterhof operate without pumps. The water comes from spring-fed ponds located on an escarpment above the gulf.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:46 pm

Obligatory Peterhof portrait, etc.
No, not of me, but who cares? Are you not convinced I was there >___>

Another fountain
The Tsars were fond of the whole... dude ripping animals thing :roll:

Fountains and gardens

Peterhof park

A swamp located on top of a hill. Image
Just to illustrate where the fountain water comes from, etc.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Ducks.

"Pyramid"

I dubbed this "Bring-your-own-fountain"

Hay guys.

What. Throwing money into fountains is traditional!
(350 roubles = $16 or so)

*to be continued*

Return to “General Discussion”