Oto in Motherland: a (huge) photo log

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Funny how despite the name, it never crossed my mind that Vlad might be from those parts :P

I'd love to go to Prague. In fact Prague is first on my list of places I'd want to go to as a tourist. My only experience in the Czech republic was spending a morning wandering around the suburb of Kladno enroute to Canada 8 years ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Alrights, I'm getting out them other pictures...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:28 pm

After the tour of the military history attractions on Vasilievsky Island, I proceed to tour places of my own personal history.

And this, radies and Gentleman, is Oto's kindergarten.

It's practically in the same exact condition as when I attended it some 18 years ago. The main difference is the new wire fence. When I was there, it was wooden.
I once discovered a hole in that fence and escaped with a friend of mine (yes, when I was 4). We made it to his apartment several blocks away, but noone was home. Just as we were about to head to mine, the teacher, guided in by a traitor who knew of our escape plan, caught up to us. :(

That in the lower left is my friend Kirill. He apparently also attended this institution, but at a different time than I did.

I used to be able to crawl under this one.

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:29 pm

Actual slide Oto played on when he was 4:

...couldn't resist...

The name is creepy, however.
CENTER FOR CHILD DEVELOPMENT
KINDERGARTEN No. 38

for the accomplishment of physical and psychological development, correction and improvement of children
How soviet :roll:

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:29 pm

The Turnip

This needs explanation I think.

It's a large artsy playground slide called "turnip", based on a well-known Russian folk tale about a giant turnip.

It was installed around the time I was born, in the courtyard of the apartment building where I lived between ages of about 1 and 6.

Some people thought it was a kiln or something, apparently:

Soviet devil worship circle in that courtyard:

The only skating rink I ever tried to skate on, outside of the windows of that apartment:
That’s right. I’m a Russian/Canadian who doesn’t skate. Screw dat.

The door at which we were caught in the kindergarten story alluded to before:

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:30 pm

I thought I’ slide down, but…
Shortly after that, I felt like my ass was burning.
The metal covering of the slide heated up to something like the boiling point.

Soviet car outside that apartment where I lived between ages 1 and 6:

More or less the first view-from-windows I can remember (the actual window of the apartments are just off to the left):

The 3 windows on the 3rd floor are it.
I remember that place surprisingly well. I used to love sitting at those windows and watching the weather. Now it’s not so easy – the open field in front of the house is now another 10-storey apartment block…

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Smolenka river, in the general area where I lived for (almost) my entire 14 years in Russia:

New buildings finished in just the last couple of years:

One of my favorite hangouts from back in the day, at the mouth of the Smolenka River (just beyond that bridge is the open Gulf of Finland):

Ew.
(this is supposed to be a beach)

A huge pile of sand. Behind it – the area where I used to live.

they're expanding the Vasilievsky Island to build a new port, thus the apparent equipment and piles of sand – they’re reclaiming land from the gulf for the purpose.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Tug boat on the Gulf of Finland:

The pile again.

Gun turrets from the WWII cruiser "Kirov", getting fixed up in time for the G8 summit in july:

We used to climb these all the time.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:32 pm

The final bus/tram/trolley stop for most routes on Vasilievski island:

A Soviet parking garage:

Jaywalking!

Entrance to Navy School and also swimming pool where I took swimming lessons for many years.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:33 pm

Back home…

Hay guys.
(drinking my Kvas, by and far the greatest soft drink evar)

On the balcony

This was the first and last time I tried to take this picture.

The railing on the balcony only goes up to somewhere above my knees. Meaning if I leaned a little more, I would've fallen off the 6th floor :x

Soviet phone.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:34 pm

Soviet subway.
This picture is illegal. It's illegal to take pictures at 'strategic objects'.
At one point I was nearly arrested for doing just that :roll:

Back on Vasilievski island. The playground of the neighbouring school (not mine).
Behind it – an abandoned construction site from the early 90’s when the economy collapsed.

It’s the opposite now – the country is experiencing a big economic boom (which mostly benefits the rich elite) and the construction (likewise, mostly elite housing and shopping malls) are going up at a rate I’ve never seen anywhere else.
But the abandoned construction site remains a labyrinth of concrete blocks laid as a base for a high-rise. It was a slightly-creepy place to play “real-life quake” with friends 8 years ago; now it’s an overgrown, dark relic where I wouldn’t set foot.

Nature and the crumbling Soviet cinder-block paradise

Korablestroitelei Street. The building on the right was where I lived between 1995-1998
Yes, that car is really like that. It’s an advertising van.

*to be continued*

Return to “General Discussion”