Adobe After Effects memory problem

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Kadaj
Org Profile

Adobe After Effects memory problem

Post by Kadaj » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:55 am

Just been getting a recurring message each time i try to view frames at a certain point in the timeline.

the message reads:

"After Effects: not enough memory to create image buffer.
(212223k requested, 927666k available)

( 37 :: 102 )"

I've tried clearing more space on the drive and enabling more virtual memory (I have a 1536 - 3072MB paging file currently set on the system drive), but the error remains.

I can only view the rendered frame in after effects by lowering its rendered resolution to under 1/3rd, and i find it too difficult to work at that quality.

Any help at all would be great, thanks.
ImageImage

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:03 am

I hate to sound like the annoying people on my help desk at work (so please don't hurt me for it), but have you turned off the computer and limited the amount of processes running in the background to refresh your virtual mem?
new banzors in the making :p

Kadaj
Org Profile

Post by Kadaj » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:10 am

haha, yes i'm afraid i've tried that. The problem has persisted for a few days now but rest assured my first instinct was 'off' then 'on'.

Thanks for the help regardless :)
ImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:46 pm

AE won't use pagefile properly/at all for me, so you're not alone.

I've tried putting in huge images that I don't have enough RAM for and they won't load at all even if pagefiling would work. This seems to be something that AE just does. My only suggestion is to get more RAM.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:21 pm

I have to agree with BasharOfTheAges there. I've done two projects in AE in which I basically HAD to upgrade my ram in order to complete the videos. What resolution of files are you trying to work at? There are a few tricks and tweaks that can help things, but it usually wont get you very far.

Kadaj
Org Profile

Post by Kadaj » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Zarxrax wrote:What resolution of files are you trying to work at? There are a few tricks and tweaks that can help things, but it usually wont get you very far.
I'm working with Death Note raws which are either at 704x396, or scaled down from 1280x720.

I've fiddled around with the layers and settings a bit and i've isolated the problem to rendering one particular layer, a 3D text layer. Not sure in particular why this one in particular gives AE a hard time though, but here's a screencap of the timeline and frame at 1/3rd resolution: AE Project
ImageImage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:49 pm

Very odd, since you don't seem to have all that much going on with that layer. If possible, you could try rendering that layer to a file and import it back into the project..

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:02 pm

Or try putting the composition into another (nesting).. I've done far more complex stuff with a bunch of nested compositions with no memory issues on my old system with 1 gig ram

Vlad

Kadaj
Org Profile

Post by Kadaj » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:08 am

Zarxrax wrote:Very odd, since you don't seem to have all that much going on with that layer. If possible, you could try rendering that layer to a file and import it back into the project..
That was my first thought, but when previewing and exporting it will refuse to render that layer and further in the project. There is only about 4 effects running, and i have some layers with about 7 or so without problems.
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Or try putting the composition into another (nesting).. I've done far more complex stuff with a bunch of nested compositions with no memory issues on my old system with 1 gig ram

Vlad
That sounds like it may be worth a shot. I've already nested some of the earlier sections but i'll try a bit more.

ta for the help guys.
ImageImage

Kadaj
Org Profile

Post by Kadaj » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:38 am

Gyagh *head desk*.

Sadly AE is still hell-bent on driving me nuts :roll:

i divided the main composition into three nested compositions of 10 - 30 seconds each but it still refuses to render the text layer or anything beyond that point.

At this stage i may have to look into increasing my ram.

Thanks to Zaxrax, Bashar, Vlad and autraya for their help so far.

Any other suggestions are still welcome.
ImageImage

Return to “Adobe Software”