A Different Ripping Approach

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Sky-Wolf
Org Profile

A Different Ripping Approach

Post by Sky-Wolf » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:56 am

If possible, I would like to know any possible way of acquiring the gameplay scenes in a game other than my the means of capture card or such. Are they set as a certain filetype in the ISO or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:00 am

Gameplay scenes can only be captured by a capture card or screen capture with an emulator.
You can rip FMV sequences from games though.
They are in different formats depending on what sytem it is.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Sky-Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Sky-Wolf » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:11 am

I was aware of FMV scenes. I was just wondering if the scenes done in gameplay graphics could be captured. Hmm, I was hoping for an alternate way too.

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:44 am

I wish there was another way too
That sucks when you have those games that only have in-game cut scenes like Zelda
It takes more work since you have to play the game all the way through to get the footage you need by capture card. ^^
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:07 am

I can definitely see it as a possibility for PC games (since I've done basically just that for the PC version of a game called Guilty Gear XX), but unfortunately, I just don't see it happening for games on consoles such as playstation2, gamecube, xbox, etc.

In general, cut scenes in many video games are being ran in real time. That's the dilema. Things such as fmv's are capable of extraction because they're not being streamed in real time. Instead, fmv's are simply being played back off a single mpeg-2 stream. Rip the mpeg2 stream, and you have your fmv. Unfortunately, in game cut scenes seem to utilize multiple files in order to be viewed.

I'm not an expert or anything of the sort, but if I had to take a guess, the only way you'd be able to literally rip cut scenes out of games is if you could somehow create a program (specific to that game) which can read the various files off of the disk/dvd and use that information to recreate the cut scene on your PC. You would also probably have to intergrate some kind of recording feature within that program to record the cut scene being emulated on your PC, into a single stream.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Hell, for all I know, their may already be a way to do it (even though I doubt it). PS2 emulation isn't even close to being perfected, but if it were to ever to be greatly improved, then I suppose that would be the day when it would finally be possible to rip cut scenes (at least from ps2 games). Even if it wasn't in the traditional sense.

But case in point, I highly doubt in-game cut scenes being ran in real time will ever be able to be ripped into one convenient stream.

Unless you got some inside connections to the team of people in charge of putting those cut scenes together, your one and only best bet is a video capture card. It's not all that bad though. I've managed to get some real good quality through capturing footage.

btw, I stand open for correction with regards to everything I've posted above. And if anything I mentioned seemed rather obvious or redundant, than so be it.

Well, this post went on a lot longer than I had wanted it to. I think I'll end this here.

Nj0rd
Org Profile

Post by Nj0rd » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:01 am

Since most game event are triggered by a game progress matrix of some sort it would (probably) not be very hard to program an activator if one knew the matrix. Unfortunately it's not something provided by software developers :(

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”