Pleae help with Final Cut Pro 4

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
vins_girl
Org Profile

Pleae help with Final Cut Pro 4

Post by vins_girl » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm slowly grasping the basics of the program with the few tutorials I can find, but I still don't know how to get something other that the .mov format. I want to try and save in .avi, .mpg, or even .mpeg...heck I don't care what it is as long as it isn't move. Also I keep getting the constant: UNRENDERED sign when I want to preview my work. How can I preview my work @.@ Please help, just pointing me in the right direction would help. Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
vins_girl :)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:36 pm

They don't have stuff like that in the manual?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:13 pm

Okay, first things first: What are you starting out with to edit? Anime from a DVD, I hope?
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

BunofGovt
Org Profile

Post by BunofGovt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:23 pm

vins_girl wrote:I'm slowly grasping the basics of the program with the few tutorials I can find, but I still don't know how to get something other that the .mov format. I want to try and save in .avi, .mpg, or even .mpeg...heck I don't care what it is as long as it isn't move.
I export my finished vid as a DV file, then convert using D-Volution. You might want to look at Kirin's guide http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... rial3.html

Yes, it's for iMovie but I found the exporting info helpful to start with.
vins_girl wrote:Also I keep getting the constant: UNRENDERED sign when I want to preview my work. How can I preview my work @.@ Please help, just pointing me in the right direction would help. Thanks for reading.
Yeah, FCP makes you render every time you do some kind of edit on the clip. I haven't figured out how to get past this. But I have learned to make my clips as short as I can so when I move them to the timeline the rendering time isn't as long.
"Didn't I say something clever earlier?"
"Dunno, I was probably asleep when you said it."

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:31 pm

BunofGovt wrote:
Yeah, FCP makes you render every time you do some kind of edit on the clip. I haven't figured out how to get past this. But I have learned to make my clips as short as I can so when I move them to the timeline the rendering time isn't as long.
It really depends on your processor and what editing codec you're using. I can apply dissolves to DV content without rendering, provided my sequence settings match my footage settings. That's on a Powerbook G4. On a G5 or Mac Pro I can do some fancier edits in lossless Sheer without rendering.

vins_girl, if you're getting the red "you need to render bar" in your Timeline when you have NOT added dissolves or effects to your clips, then your sequence is not set up properly.

This tutorial shows you how to setup a FCP sequence. There are other tutorials on that site as well, written for AMVers using FCP.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:50 am

shazzy wrote:
BunofGovt wrote:
It really depends on your processor and what editing codec you're using. I can apply dissolves to DV content without rendering, provided my sequence settings match my footage settings. That's on a Powerbook G4. On a G5 or Mac Pro I can do some fancier edits in lossless Sheer without rendering.

vins_girl, if you're getting the red "you need to render bar" in your Timeline when you have NOT added dissolves or effects to your clips, then your sequence is not set up properly.

This tutorial shows you how to setup a FCP sequence. There are other tutorials on that site as well, written for AMVers using FCP.
You have to make sure your clips match your settings. If you are working with lets say DVCPRO50 at 29.97FPS in 4:3, your setting have to match that or you will have to render. Many filters and transitions need to be rendered to, to play them back in RT. But, if you make sure your settings are correct, then it will save you alot of time and HD space in the end. So, as she said ... check those settings! :D

vins_girl
Org Profile

Post by vins_girl » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks everyone :) This really helped out a lot.

Return to “Mac Software”