Edited in wrong ratio

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Lick
Org Profile

Edited in wrong ratio

Post by Lick » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:25 am

Hey

I've just finished a project but have found out that I edited in the wrong aspect ratio (640x480) instead of the same ratio as my footage (592x256). When I export now it in the right ratio the image flips to a smaller size everytime it fades and if I leave it in the old one it looks really bad. I thought the solution might be to change the general setting in adobe premiere pro, but I can't seem to do this in the project itself. I've also tried running it through avisynth but the same problem happens.

I don't know if anyone can help or I'm just screwed and need to redo it al in a new project. Any help would be much appreciated.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Edited in wrong ratio

Post by Scintilla » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 am

Lick wrote:I've also tried running it through avisynth but the same problem happens.
Do you mean that you changed the scripts you're using for your source footage, or do you mean that you exported the video from Premiere Pro and then used an AVISynth script to resize it? Because I don't see why the latter approach wouldn't work.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Re: Edited in wrong ratio

Post by Willen » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:49 am

Lick wrote:(592x256)
That's an unusual resolution, not to mention it's a rarely used aspect ratio for anime. 592/256=2.3125:1 (mod16 2.35:1?). I can't think of any 2.35:1 AR anime. (btw, 16:9 = 1.78. Most movies are 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 AR today.)
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Lick
Org Profile

Post by Lick » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:08 pm

Do you mean that you changed the scripts you're using for your source footage, or do you mean that you exported the video from Premiere Pro and then used an AVISynth script to resize it? Because I don't see why the latter approach wouldn't work.
I ran it through avisynth after I exported it and it just squishes the image. The 640x480 ratio made the image into like a small window surrounded by black and running it through a bicubicresize in avisynth just makes that image half the height. I thought that would work too, unless I'm using the wrong script?
That's an unusual resolution, not to mention it's a rarely used aspect ratio for anime. 592/256=2.3125:1 (mod16 2.35:1?). I can't think of any 2.35:1 AR anime. (btw, 16:9 = 1.78. Most movies are 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 AR today.)
I got this version from a friend a long time ago and I'm not sure where he got it from, but 592x256 is what the properties say and the clips I used to edit look fine.

Douggie
CHEESECAKE!
Org Profile

Post by Douggie » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:18 am

So if I'm correctly, you've edited a video with a lower resolution than your project settings, creating black borders around your actual video. After you've exported the video you actually don't need to resize it, but need to "crop" it. AVIsynth has a crop method and you can probably Google for it and find out what the commands are, but I would take the easy route and do it at the encoding using StaxRip (using whatever codec you like). Here's a guide to it:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/ ... page1.html

Just keep resize at the fullest and tick the checkbox "crop borders", but you can read about that in the guide. StaxRip will do that automatically, so no worries there.

If you want to do it the hard way, you can either try to find out whether you can load Premiere Pro projects in Premiere 6.5 (where you do can change project settings) - but that's unlikely. Or create a new project in Premiere Pro with the right settings, then import the necessary files and try to copy-paste the timeline from your old project to the new one. This might not work in one go, so you might need to copy a few seconds of your timeline each time and go back and forth with it. It might be hand to mark with "*" (on your numeric pad) where you've left and use CTRL-left or CTRL-right to navigate through the markers.

Hope this helps!

PS. Yeah I had this once too, so I've learned to double check everything before starting! Some people who swear by 6.5 don't have these problems...

Lick
Org Profile

Post by Lick » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:35 pm

Thanks Douggie, this fixed the problem, now to just experiment some more with avisynth to get the best results and it should soon be ready for release.
"Hello, Rabbit," he said, "is that you?"
"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and see what happens."

Return to “Adobe Software”