Windows Movie Maker, importing a video help

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Nets_VC_15
Org Profile

Windows Movie Maker, importing a video help

Post by Nets_VC_15 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:37 pm

I am trying to make an AMV for the first time so I really need some help. A person from another forumed sent me an AMV and told me to import it so I could see exactly how everything brings down. Anyway, I have Gundam Seed Destiny's episode 34 and it's in .avi form. I tryed importing it on WMM but when I do I get this:

"The file C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\My Documents\My Music\iPod\Gundam SEED Destiny - 34.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

I am not to big on computers so what should I do? Does it not work with .avi or something?

celibi87
Org Profile

Post by celibi87 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Even though there is a big button on the middle of this forum that says Windows movie maker Which is for help on WMM. I will help yah. What codec if your gundam seed episode in? Gotta start there.

Nets_VC_15
Org Profile

Post by Nets_VC_15 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:49 pm

celibi87 wrote:Even though there is a big button on the middle of this forum that says Windows movie maker Which is for help on WMM. I will help yah. What codec if your gundam seed episode in? Gotta start there.
I am so sorry, it's just I finally had time to make an AMV and even though I normally read through help center stuff, I am loaded with stuff like work and Christmas stuff help, thats why I kind of just asked like this. I'm sorry, I don't even know what codec is, how do I check for it?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:57 pm

Explaination of what a codec is

probably the easiest way to see information about a particular video file is to get Gspot
(just drag and drop your video file into this program)

take a look at this screenshot and look for "codec" and "name" (which is right next to codec)
post the codec and/or name that the program gives you

Nets_VC_15
Org Profile

Post by Nets_VC_15 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:10 pm

Thanks so much!

Name: XviD 1.0.3

codec: DX50/xvid

It says codecs are not installed whihc I can probably assume is obvious. I think I read that if I didn't have the codec, WMP wouldn't play it, but I can watch the episode perfectly, what gives?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:26 pm

WMP works a little differently than other programs...so you may be able to play it in WMP, but not use it in WMM.

you shouldn't use divx or xvid encoded footage for editing. Instead you should re-encode it with a lossless codec like Lagarith or HuffYuv in virtualDub(/Mod)

if you continue reading the guide that had the information about the codecs it'l also tell you how to use VirtualDubMod

Nets_VC_15
Org Profile

Post by Nets_VC_15 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:19 am

Kariudo wrote:WMP works a little differently than other programs...so you may be able to play it in WMP, but not use it in WMM.

you shouldn't use divx or xvid encoded footage for editing. Instead you should re-encode it with a lossless codec like Lagarith or HuffYuv in virtualDub(/Mod)

if you continue reading the guide that had the information about the codecs it'l also tell you how to use VirtualDubMod
I already made a video with that codec though. Will it give me problems or something.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:26 am

yes.
it might just be that your sync is a little off for that video (or nothing may be worng with it if you're lucky), but if you continue to use footage encoded with divx or xvid your footage will stop working.
maybe not today
maybe not tomorrow or the next day or even year,
but it will happen.

it's best that you just get used to using virtualdubmod and lagarith or huffyuv, or you may loose hours of work

Nets_VC_15
Org Profile

Post by Nets_VC_15 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:36 am

What do I do, I already installed it, do I just delete it and download the dubmod and lagirith?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:29 am

... you should have it in stalled so that you can play back video on your system. that makes no difference. You still need to transcode all your clips in VirtualDubMod though.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”