Which version of After Effects should I buy?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Moosephish
Org Profile

Which version of After Effects should I buy?

Post by Moosephish » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:48 pm

I am currently using Premiere 6.5 and I would like to get After Effects for $500 or less if possible. I'm getting a bit confused between the standard, plus and pro versions as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions on which version I should get?
The Dude Abides

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:28 pm

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/matrix.html
Here is a comparison of the differences between standard and professional.

The main features that standard version misses, in my opinion are
- motion tracker - this may or may not be useful to you
- wiggler - useful, but you you can do the same stuff without it, it will just take a bit longer
- advanced keying tools - extremely useful if you like to cut out part of a video
- a lot of useful effects - I don't know which effects are not included in the standard version, but I know there are quite a few useful ones.

You can buy the professional version with educational discount for about $350, though the educational version is missing some features that are in the full version! I'm not sure exactly what it's missing, but I think its mainly additional 3rd party effects.

You also might want to consider the Adobe Production Studio Premium bundle if you can get a student discount. The entire bundle is only $200 more than after effects pro alone.

Moosephish
Org Profile

Post by Moosephish » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:43 pm

Thank you Zarxrax :D

Is there a huge difference between 6.5 and 7.0? Because I'll go with 6.5 due to the price if not.
The Dude Abides

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:59 pm

Well not really. Version 7 mainly just added a new interface.

If you are talking about the standard version though, then there may be some larger differences. There are some useful effects such as fractal noise that have typically only been included in the professional version, but as of version 7 I think some of these effects are included in the standard version. I'm really not sure what effects come on what versions though, so you might want to try checking into it if you can. I would definitely want the fractal noise effect though, as it is one of the most powerful and useful effects in AE.

Moosephish
Org Profile

Post by Moosephish » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:30 pm

OK...thanks again for all of your help :D
The Dude Abides

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:52 pm

I bought the production bundle... it's a real steal as it includes AE, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Wncore and Premiere Pro.... I'll be playing around with AE pro to see if the advanced functions are any more of an advantage...

Vlad

mangamannumber1
Org Profile

Post by mangamannumber1 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:34 pm

...well i guess this thread will do, can you get you student discount if your in highschool?

if so I think I'll try to get the whole pakage, if not... back to wmm untill i get veges or something cheap that still has decent efects

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Check ebay. I got my full version of AE(legit) for just about $225 and the upgrade to 7.0 is about the same price which comes close to $500

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:14 pm

Be careful buying software off ebay though, a lot of it is just pirated copies.

Return to “Adobe Software”