Photoshop noob question.

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Photoshop noob question.

Post by keyboardsamurai » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:39 pm

I have these two pictures

and

I used photoshop's extract tool for the first image, and i'm trying to find a way to merge these two images together.

I think I need to do something with the layers, but i've just started using photoshop and am unsure.

These r just sample pics, don't want to hurt my amv source pics yet.

[MOD 403: img tag fixed]

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:36 pm

You just make a new layer on top of the background image, and copy the foreground image into it.

Extract probably isn't the best way of cutting the image out though, as you can see it leaves a lot of crap around the edges.

Here's a somewhat decent tutorial on compositing: http://www.artworld.si/compositing_101_ ... al-566.art

And here's a better place to get started at: http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials ... hop/basics

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:40 pm

if this is the only one ya need, i can do it for ya.
if your gonna be doing more though, suggest you learn it on your own
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Post by keyboardsamurai » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:13 pm

i'm going to make a lot more for an amv project, so i'm gonna try to make it. Thx a lot 4 the offer.

I've managed to set the background layer and to ctrl C+v the image (one on top) to the background. It even found the right pos I was looking for. Only problem is, the people look like ghosts. I've tried messing with the opacity, but it just makes it worst.

Am I suppose to highlight the part I want or smth? I just copied the entire image and pasted it on the background.

How am I suppose to copy the original cut out onto the background without loosing anything?

thanks for the help.

Yeh, the is my first image edit with photoshop, I just read up on the lasso cut out tool Will try that on next image..

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:07 pm

keyboardsamurai wrote:I just read up on the lasso cut out tool Will try that on next image..
You'll actually want to use the Magnetic Lasso tool more than the regular one. The Magnetic one can determine the edges pretty well and cut your image out more cleanly. You will still have to watch for where you need to add your own anchor points at times and you might still need to use the Eraser to clean up some of the edges, but Magnetic Lasso is one nice tool.

Also, you might want to try lasso-ing the first image (using Magnetic, to separate it from the white background), copying the image, then using File->New->Image From Clipboard to paste your copied image onto an invisible background. Then, use the Background Eraser to clean up any artifacts (left-over pixels of the background), if any.

From there, you can now just select and copy the entire image with the Box Selection tool, then paste your image onto the second picture.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:05 pm

There are a multitude of different ways to cut things out in photoshop, so its probably a good idea to explore and find what you like best. I've never liked the magnetic lasso myself, and prefer the quick mask mode which lets you just paint a mask with the normal paint and erase tools. The pen tool is also a common and powerful tool for cutting things out.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:09 pm

wow. thats some bad advice. i don't even know where to start.

go find some tutorials for cutting out objects. cover the basics like quickmasks and vector masks.

you said they look like ghosts? set your opacity to 100, and then see if you have any blending modes enabled (it should be set to normal)
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:11 pm

that was directed at glory, not zarx.

zarx's suggestion for pen tool is another good way (though since it's people, you should feather them a couple of pixels, and put a blur around their edges)

keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Post by keyboardsamurai » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks for the help everyone..

Here's my finished product..

I was a little off on the perspective edit, and missed some white stuff (which was causing the ghosting effect previously mentioned). But for a 30 min first time job, I think it looks great..

I ended up using the lasso tool to cut us out.

Gonna have to get use to the perspective tool (moves kinda weird)

Return to “Adobe Software”