how do i get MKV files to work in vegas

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
KWC10
Org Profile

how do i get MKV files to work in vegas

Post by KWC10 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:08 pm

iv been trying for days now and i just cant seem to get it i was told you can do it so can somone please tell me

thanks in advance

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 pm

your best bet is to open the mkv files in virtualdubmod and convert them to avi's using a lossless codec

both vegas 6 and 7 do not support mkv files (so says the info page on the sony website)...so I wouldn't expect that any earlier version would either

canikizu
Org Profile

Post by canikizu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:25 am

Another choice :D

VDM or VD convert take really long time to convert them. So i suggest u demuxing that MKV file and and mux them to AVI file. It will take you 3min top compare to 30min with VDM

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:45 am

You're going to want to extract the video from the MKV container, and edit with those files instead.

Download MKVExtractGUI (use the mirror site; when I tried to DL this a week ago corecodec was down) and MKVtoolnix. Extract them both to the same folder and open MKVextractGUI.exe. From here you can choose what MKV files you want to split.

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:56 am

canikizu wrote:Another choice :D

VDM or VD convert take really long time to convert them. So i suggest u demuxing that MKV file and and mux them to AVI file. It will take you 3min top compare to 30min with VDM
kariudos option is better because the video file inside the mkv will probably be encoded with xvid/divX and the time dealing with the problems that come those type of encodes can easily exceed 30min.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:23 am

canikizu wrote:Another choice :D

Using VirtualDub(/Mod)'s "Direct stream copy" mode does the same thing, you know.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

canikizu
Org Profile

Post by canikizu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:56 pm

Yeah my friend said i can use that but, there are something wrong with my VDM and i don't know why.
I used VDM to get rid of the audio or sutitle in MKV and export to avi. But you know what :D, The AVI new file is much smaller than MKV (because of no audio), but it still has audio :D. And i can't ctrl+delete it, it doesn't disappear until i restart my computer, and when i run that AVI file, it showed the warning "file not found", although it's still there when double click it :D. That's why i don't use VDM

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”