Out of the frying pan... how to fade?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Out of the frying pan... how to fade?

Post by Autraya » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:02 pm

Well after many years of WMM, I finally am giving it the flick (not a moment to soon either).

Enter my new number 1 hated set of programs Adobe (anything by them at the moment).

I was reading some of the earlier thread about the newbies guide, and with the lack of pictures (bad phototbucket!)... not to mention 2 days of experimenting I am still stuck.

With WMM if you wanted to fade all u had to do was overlay the footage.
I'm using premiere pro (7.0?) and god i wish it were that simple!

From what I could glean I can rubberband (not seeing anything made of rubber on my screen, laytex mebbee, but no rubber, sorry bad joke but I can't see wot u r talking about) or holding alt and the mouse changes? (it doesn't change).

Can some one pls tell me how the frack I'm supposed to do a fade?
I can't believe that this is really this difficult!! I'm finding most of the other stuff easy-ish with a bit of practice (effects (i'm not using many trust me!), opacity etc) but this damn thing still eludes me! :evil:
oh and mp3's seem to work fine in version 7.0, is it that they only cause a problem when u are finishing up and export?

*sulks in corner away from evil adobe programs*
new banzors in the making :p

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 pm

there is no pro 7.0
the only versions of pro that exist are 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0
[I'm working with 1.5, but it should be similar]

don't hate premiere just because it's harder than WMM, you will eventually appreciate the ammount of control that premiere pro affords you (but it makes the program hard(er) to learn)

fading can be done in several ways.
probably the easiest is to adjust the opcaity (transparency) of one of the clips (the one on the upper track).

click the clip, and then go to your "monitor" window, look for a tab that says "effect controls" (if you don't have this it's in the window tab on the top...by file, edit, etc)
you should see two standard effects, motion and opacity, expand opacity.

next, go to the frame that youwish to start the fade, click the diamond-looking thing next to opacity (not the triangle thing).
then go to the frame that you wish to end the fade and slide the opacity to 0 (or some other low number)

you need at least 2 video tracks to do this.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:31 am

thnx all working now!
(thought it would be somethin bloody simple that I was missing) :lol:
have now made peace will the computer again.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:37 am

Kariudo wrote:there is no pro 7.0
God, thank you.

Anyway: To do a crossfade between two clips, first line them up right next to each other in the same video track, with no blank space between them. Then go to the Effects window/tab, and locate "Cross Dissolve" under the Video Transitions folder. Drag the Cross Dissolve transition onto the timeline, to the point where the two clips meet (the cursor will change when you get the location right, indicating that the effect can be placed there).

Once the transition is on the timeline, you can lengthen it, shorten it, adjust its Effect Controls, move it around relative to the two clips (as long as part of it always contains the junction between them), etc. Just be sure that the first clip has enough frames after its out point in the same scene to last to the end of the transition (to avoid weird cuts in the middle of your crossfade), and that the second clips has enough frames before its in point in the same scene to stretch to the beginning of the transition.

Also, you can place whatever the standard transition is (usually Cross Dissolve unless you specifically set it to something different) by simply selecting the proper video track, putting the timeline cursor at the point where the two clips meet, and hitting Ctrl+D.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:01 am

Kariudo wrote:there is no pro 7.0
Pro 7.0 is what they called the pirated version of Pro 1.0 - if you were wondering where the confusion came from. I doubt the majority of people here that use Premiere are using a legit copy, hense the widespread confusion.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Basharof the ages:
I have no idea which version I'm using, (and didn't really care that much)
just the most recent version which cost me and arm and a leg (shoulda gone to ebay!). Think I was getting confuzzed with AE which me thinks is 7.0 that and other people were refering to it as v7.0 on earlier threads. oh well.

Scintilla:
I was using the opacity for overlays (sorry I messed up and was not so articulate earlier in the thread) which is fine no prob.
The crossfade (which is what I was really after) only seems to work when applied to the clip on the *alt-tab* on the higher layer. Should it be working on the same layer?
I feel like such a 'tard all these little transitions/effects were so easy with WMM :roll:

Kariudo:
Oh and adobe is evil.... esp photoshop and AE lol.
I only say that because it's taken me months to figure out photoshop with some sort of (very) basic proiciency. Sweetdiely was lucky she learnt it in school I'm old, learning is harder hehe. Good thing is many of those concepts are transferable to premiere. Thank God for EADFAG!!

Thanks fer ye help

Return to “Adobe Software”