Dual Monitor AfterEffects?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Dual Monitor AfterEffects?

Post by Gepetto » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:38 am

I've always been reluctant to do just about anything in AfterEffects because it meant havijg to look at that clustered screen full of dialogs and whatnots. Recently, I acquired a new television set (a Sony Bravia), which can be used as a clone monitor ore extended desktop. I tried but was unable to stretch AfterEffects or drag any of the dialogs onto the second monitor. I also dd not find any options in AfterEffects to support Extended Desktop Mode. So I have two questions:

1) Is it at all possible to run AfterEffects on two monitors
2) Is there any software/patch/hack/whatever that would let me set the "second monitor" to a 16:9 resolution that would better fit my TV, given that my video card's ATI Control Panel doesn't?

Thanks in advance,

--Gepetto

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:52 am

Have you installed the latest ATI drivers?

Barring that, try using PowerStrip (guide and download link HERE).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:25 am

Yea, After Effects should work fine with 2 monitors. Actually, I think I have done it myself before. What version of AE are you running?

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:31 am

theres actually a workspace setting for it, i believe
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:15 am

I run After effects on two monitors... it works fine! Just make sure you got a video card with enough memory to handle it

Vlad

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:01 am

I did a little more snooping around and I managed to put AfterEffects 6.5 in two monitors. Stupid me had the window maximized so I couldn't stretch it into the second monitor before (guess I should have tried that before looking for hidden config files). Thanks a lot for your help.
Willen wrote:Have you installed the latest ATI drivers?

Barring that, try using PowerStrip (guide and download link HERE).
My drivers are updated, and I couldn't understand anything on those guides :?

I'd still like to know how to make a custom resolution, but I read the guide on custom resolution on the page Willen sent me and I think it killed a few brain cells.

If there isn't an easier way, I can try falling back on this one, but if anyone else knows a simple way to put up a 16:9 resolution (ideally 1280 X 768) I'd gratly appreciate the input.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:12 am

Gepetto wrote:If there isn't an easier way, I can try falling back on this one, but if anyone else knows a simple way to put up a 16:9 resolution (ideally 1280 X 768) I'd gratly appreciate the input.
What ATI card are you using and what resolution is your other monitor set to?

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 am

So, from now on is it a hardware problem? (oh crap wrong forum :roll: )

Both monitors are set to 1024X768 resolution.

As for the video card, it's a notebook so I think it's one of those integrated cards. Regardless, it has the ATI Control Panel installed and the Windows Device Manager says it's a Radeon IGP 340M.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:28 am

Gepetto wrote:So, from now on is it a hardware problem? (oh crap wrong forum :roll: )

Both monitors are set to 1024X768 resolution.

As for the video card, it's a notebook so I think it's one of those integrated cards. Regardless, it has the ATI Control Panel installed and the Windows Device Manager says it's a Radeon IGP 340M.
I can get my hands on a laptop with a similar video chipset (Radeon IGP 345M) and experiment. But for now, I think if you are just using the ATI Control Panel, you are stuck with 1024x768 on both screens on Extended Desktop.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Okay. Thank you very much for going to all that trouble.
My DeviantART profile

Return to “Adobe Software”