Help with subtitles?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:21 am

I am also curious how one gets the fansubber karaoke effects? Particularly where letters are all bouncy and cutesy. Think Honkation for an example.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:06 pm

jonnkakarotto wrote:So, if I wanted a subtitle to appear after the other one disappears, I'd make another script, except using different trim times, correct?
Well, you don't need another (ie: additional) script, just more commands in the same script...
Also, I messed around with it a bit, and I noticed the second trim time in that script you posted hacks off the end of the video. What am I doing wrong here?
I removed some stuff from the script I posted since it was a bit long. Read up on the Trim command if you haven't. I had "v3a=v.Trim(126,0)" and more Subtitle commands in the script before I cut them.

So you could add at the end above (after removing v1+v2):
v3a=v.Trim(126,0)
v3=v3a.Subtitle("different text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375)
v1+v2+v3
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks a bunch for that.

Now, as for making one subtitle appear with the other appearing directly after it (or under it, like in the Mahoro Speech in Hellø Fairy) while the first subtitle stays on screen. All that is done there is alignment of the subtitles and more trim time adjustments, correct?

And since Kionon mentioned it, Karaoke-style effects can be applied in AE, can't they?

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:23 pm

jonnkakarotto wrote:Thanks a bunch for that.
No problem.
Now, as for making one subtitle appear with the other appearing directly after it (or under it, like in the Mahoro Speech in Hellø Fairy) while the first subtitle stays on screen. All that is done there is alignment of the subtitles and more trim time adjustments, correct?
I just ran the Subtitle command multiple times. Change the v3= line above to the following.

v3=v3a.Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375).\
Subtitle("different text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=395)
And since Kionon mentioned it, Karaoke-style effects can be applied in AE, can't they?
Probably, though I don't know exactly which effects you mean. I've seen:
  • Sentence colour changing as a word/syllable is said
  • Text size changing as a word/syllable is said
  • A "bouncing ball"
I did the bouncing ball in LSR with Premiere motion settings.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm

Sweet.

So, would I apply the subs after I export in Premiere or during compression into another codec?

That's the only part I'm still a bit confused about.

canikizu
Org Profile

Post by canikizu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:40 pm

i don't use Premiere so i don't know what it's like, to me Aegisub is the best :D. I made some amv with karaoke and i'm pretty pleased with them. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlmpQppxj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reCVioXstE

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:47 pm

Sweet. Perhaps you can give me the run down on how the thing works, then? I've messed around with it a bit, but haven't gotten anything to work.

canikizu
Org Profile

Post by canikizu » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:08 am

I suggest you should go through the Aegisub help menu, then use this web http://www.malakith.net/aegiwiki/index. ... _Tutorials to understand more about karaoke effect.

Feel free to ask what you want to know. And for a rundown, tell me where i should begin :D

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:16 am

jonnkakarotto wrote:So, would I apply the subs after I export in Premiere or during compression into another codec?
You can do it at different stages. TMTOWTDI. Just try it.
Image Image Image

Return to “Video Editing Software”