Window's Movie Maker trouble!

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
CheekeeMonkee
Org Profile

Window's Movie Maker trouble!

Post by CheekeeMonkee » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:44 am

Okay I'm a newbie (obviously!) here, yea me! lol! So I'm hoping I'm putting this in the correct branch of the forum. Please don't hit me with a stick!! *cowers*

Anywho my sob story . . . lol! Here goes . . .

I've made a few music videos in the past (unfortunately not anime, hopefully they'll be a few of those coming in the not too distant future!) and I found that the approach I had was painstaking, tedious, and never ending! (Incase you were wondering this is how I was going about it: taking screen caps w/ PowerDVD, editing them in Photoshop, then animating them just right in Image Ready, and then posting all of that into WMM to put together and do final edits. All in all a lot for WMM to work with and it would crash often and about a month, or three, later I got my end video).

After about the third time about doing this, I realized I was happy with my videos and I enjoy making videos because of the feeling when you see your vision, your vid come to life and others enjoy your work as well. But I figured there had to be a better way. That there was an easier, faster, approach that I could make more videos quicker! And lo and behold a friend of mine (from another board) turned me onto this site. (btw I'm loving it here! You guys do exceptional work!! Wow! :D I can only hope I get to that point, my vids look like child’s play compared to some of yours!) I got the necessary programs from her and I've read all the tutorials and after much time, reading, and hard labor I was able to make clips! (Hooray for me!) Oh I was so excited and proud of myself. I bet you all can understand, it was like falling in love! *starry eyed* lol! ;)

So here I am, I now have all my clips and music and such and everything up running working and ready to use. Every thing should be hunky dory right? I'm good to go, right? Wrong. Every time I load up WMM and I go to move one, just one, video clip and then go to save (so I don't lose what I just worked my bum off on!) WMM has to force quit on me?! What the hell?!! And I mean every single freaking time! What gives? Why is it doing this to me? Does my computer hate me? Are the computer Gods upset with me for some obscure reason? Did I do something wrong to upset the universe? What is it? Why?! WHY!? :cry:

Does this mean that I need to upgrade myself to the expensive (yet wonderful and complicated) program of Adobe Premiere? Can someone please help me out there?

Thanks in advanced!
*Peace!
Dumbstruck, befuddled, and desperate!! (lol!)
~Kris

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:36 pm

sorry i skimmed the middle where you already said you read those.

best thing to say: "wmm is buggy software" sometimes it doesn't work correctly and it often runs into conflicts with other apps, codecs, etc.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Aria Mournesong
Org Profile

Post by Aria Mournesong » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:49 pm

I've had that happen to me in the past and I know you REALLY don't want to hear this Monkee. But if the clip continuously crashes when you put it in WMM you'll probally have to delete that clip and re-rip/import it into your collection. :( :(

sirvayza
Org Profile

Post by sirvayza » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:47 pm

have you checked the microshaft website? i know the earlier versions of wmm were REALLY buggy (not that the latest version is too much better :?: ) but there are updates to it with the windows media player updates (i think it's bundled with media player), anywho, get over to microsoft.com and download the latest version of win media player and then try again. hope this helps!

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:07 pm

CheekeeMonkee,I had the same problem with my Movie Maker after I formatted my pc and all I could say is I gave up.No matter what type of clip I inserted in the timeline it will simply force quit the program.
Or to be more precise,I could insert a clip in the timeline but couldn't do anything with it(cut it,add effects etc.).Just one more move and force quittting.I don't have a clue as to what caused this and I couldn't stand it anymore so I said goodbye to Movie Maker.

I may be too pessimistic but that was my decision.However,try to encode your clips to different codecs and reinsert them in WMM.You never know what will happen when it comes to Movie Maker...

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:41 am

Ok I am currently having the same problem and have had since the 4th AMV I made.

Way I get around it is/was:

1.) save movie file before the bit it doesn't like. Open a new project then reimport your 1/2 (ish) file. drag all the clips in order onto the time line and start adding 'stuff' again to finish the vid.
2.) shut down othe programs that were running or rebooted computer to get back virtual memory, and not opening AMVs after rebooting works real good too)
3.) up grade ur RAM (now I have over 3 gig and it barely ever crashes)

My sephiroth on line AMV had this problem, I'd make 1 change (put new foot age on timeline and not touch it for example) then have to shut down program and restart!!

Hope this helps!
new banzors in the making :p

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:33 pm

autraya wrote: 1.) save movie file before the bit it doesn't like. Open a new project then reimport your 1/2 (ish) file. drag all the clips in order onto the time line and start adding 'stuff' again to finish the vid.
this may also require you to cut the song in half and put it back together, thankfully audio is very easy to play with in WMM like that.

this usually happens when start using transitions and effects.

am probably just talking to myself now.

CheekeeMonkee
Org Profile

Post by CheekeeMonkee » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:06 am

Hmm . . . okay so I have yet to try your suggestions. And all of them don't seem to be too favorable for WMM or for finishing this video quick and easily. *sighs* I guess that's what happens when you go for the cheap solution . . . you get what you pay for, right?

Anyway, is there any way around this? Are there any other video editing programs out there that are more reliable and efficient at dealing with codec's and getting an end result? Or is this my only option? Am I stuck? Should I call it quits? Is there any other way?! *sighs* :(

*Peace!
~Kris
"Love is the ultimate trip."
"Don't pet the sweaty stuff."
"A day without problems is like a day without breathing!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/CheekeeMonkee85

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:16 am

Don't GIVE UP!!!!

I was so annoyed and frustrated when I hit this wall myself and tried for weeks to fix it (codecs, reimporting, tech help etc) before biting the bullet and just doing what I mentioned above.

Don't know if it helps but my advice (and I'm still using WMM too) is to finish ur vid and then move to premier or any of the similar progams (vegas video or Ulead etc). The only reason I haven't changed is premier wont work on my machine(long story)
:wink:

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”