looking for a "flash" effect on wmm

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:00 am

Gepetto wrote:AFAIK, wmm doesn't let you alter the duration of a still. That's why I said "use the acceleration". Then again, I've only ever used the first build of WMM 2, so maybe other versions can do that.

keskin_snape's suggestion seems better than mine, though.
*fires up WMM version 2.1

You can import a still image and drag the trim bar to reduce the duration of time the image is shown. Add 'Speed Up, Double' to that and the duration is halved (or add 'Slow Down, Half' then make the clip as short as possible and then remove the slow down). IIRC, too many speed ups or slow downs makes WMM crash, so Slow - Trim - remove Slow might be better. Also, you can change the default duration for pictures added to the storyboard or timeline in the Options menu. The shortest duration is 0.125 seconds, though (which equates to 1/8th of a second or 3.75 frames/second assuming a 30fps framerate).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:07 am

Ah, you meant "trim". I thought you were talking of some duration control like in Premiere...

Slow-Trim-Remove Slow... Clever, I wouldn't have thought of that.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Cornwiggle
Org Profile

Post by Cornwiggle » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Kariudo wrote:I feel sorry for them, using that p.o.s. excuse for a program

but to their credit...I'm suprised that they can make WMM a bit more like other programs (at least with the effects)

You can make even cheap stuff look good if you just think a little. That's true with a lot of things.
¯\(°_o)/¯

*Storm_Rose*
Org Profile

Post by *Storm_Rose* » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:03 pm

WMM was my first program, and I used it for 5 months, so I think I’ve pretty much learned all the tricks. ^_^

Anywho, what I use to do for flash effect was to cut the clips into tiny bits and use the fade in from white/black effect (whichever one suits you).

Hope that helps. ^^

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:30 pm

*Storm_Rose* wrote:WMM was my first program, and I used it for 5 months, so I think I’ve pretty much learned all the tricks. ^_^

Anywho, what I use to do for flash effect was to cut the clips into tiny bits and use the fade in from white/black effect (whichever one suits you).

Hope that helps. ^^
Pretty much the way I did it as well. If the flash is not fast enough, make the clip a little shorter until you have just the right flash. Just be careful not to everdo it, nobody likes going blind. :)

Cornwiggle
Org Profile

Post by Cornwiggle » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:
*Storm_Rose* wrote:WMM was my first program, and I used it for 5 months, so I think I’ve pretty much learned all the tricks. ^_^

Hope that helps. ^^
Pretty much the way I did it as well. If the flash is not fast enough, make the clip a little shorter until you have just the right flash. Just be careful not to everdo it, nobody likes going blind. :)
Or if you just can't get the clip to right speed you want the flashes or something because it's inbetween other clips, you should save it as a WMV then reimport it back into the timeline, then cut it up from there, since it's all one, you have a totally fresh start on adjusting it even more.
¯\(°_o)/¯

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:28 pm

Cornwiggle wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Hope that helps. ^^
Or if you just can't get the clip to right speed you want the flashes or something because it's inbetween other clips, you should save it as a WMV then reimport it back into the timeline, then cut it up from there, since it's all one, you have a totally fresh start on adjusting it even more.
Yeah,what Cornwiggle said is an ideal solution when the vid is overdone with small clips.However,remember to save in the best quality possible because when you'll reimport the file there'll surely be a decrease in the quality...

Cornwiggle
Org Profile

Post by Cornwiggle » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Full Metal Sempai wrote:
Cornwiggle wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Hope that helps. ^^
Yeah,what Cornwiggle said is an ideal solution when the vid is overdone with small clips.However,remember to save in the best quality possible because when you'll reimport the file there'll surely be a decrease in the quality...
Yeah for that "high quality video (large)" is usually the best way to go.
¯\(°_o)/¯

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Don't know if your question has been answered yet. but how i do it is fade in and out from white or black on a short clip....simple.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:09 am

NerdStrudel wrote:Don't know if your question has been answered yet. but how i do it is fade in and out from white or black on a short clip....simple.
NerdStrudel is right.
This is how u do it, basically:

Right click on the piece of footage we're flashing. Go to 'video effects'. This will show you a nice little list of all the stuff it can add/do to ur clip.
Select fade in from white/black or fade out to white/black. Hit the add button or just double click. Click okay and ur done.
Whether you use white or black should be based on the footage and which one suits more.

For example: In my warcraft montage I used white flashes in the Illiden scene because there was lightning in the background. But black earlier when cutting.

For multiple flashes in WMM you're going to have to chop the footage up and repaste several times,
i.e.: apply the fade out/in effect, copy the footage, paste, crop back/forward etc. and repeat as desired.
Yes, it's the long way, but it works and is relatively easy to follow. :ninja:
new banzors in the making :p

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”