Sony Vegas won't import video

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:45 pm

or if your computer doesn't have the "hide extensions for known file types" option un-checked (control panel-folder options-view)...just right-click one file after another until you see an "install" option on (or near) the top

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:19 pm

Alriiiiiiiiight, I think I have it down now. Thanks for your help, guys!

KWC10
Org Profile

Post by KWC10 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:33 am

you can put a Divx in vegas but if your runing vegas 6 it will have problems

annyway just get Divx pro and it will work

the only problem if your useing vegas 5 is that you lose the peaks on your audio file

but DONT HAVE XVID INSTALL VEGAS HATES IT

this is from an experience vegas user (me :P )

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:37 am

you really shouldn't use divx or xvid files in any editing program (regradless if you can or cannot use the footage in that program).
probably the best example of what will happen eventually is in this thread

trust me (and scintilla) on this, there are many very good reasons why you shouldn't use divx/xvid footage. You don't want to loose hours of work because you were too lazy to convert your clips to a lossless codec

KWC10
Org Profile

Post by KWC10 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:50 am

Kariudo wrote:you really shouldn't use divx or xvid files in any editing program (regradless if you can or cannot use the footage in that program).
probably the best example of what will happen eventually is in this thread

trust me (and scintilla) on this, there are many very good reasons why you shouldn't use divx/xvid footage. You don't want to loose hours of work because you were too lazy to convert your clips to a lossless codec
that guy was useing Vegas 6 (i know the problem) vegas 5 handles Divx fine but you are right best to convert the footage 1st but for most begginers that can be kinda hard (took me a while to get it down) and plus most of us dont have the money to get the DVDs

it sucks useing fansubs ><

rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:18 am

Interestingly enough, Vegas 6 CAN handle 3ivx .avi's. So if you're more comfortable editing with clips instead of scripts, that's the way to go. I use Xmpeg to convert my VOBs to AVIs (you can even select specific clips to convert), but it is slightly lossy, and the interlacing is tricky.

Chris
To paraphrase one Mr. Cool James, please refrain from referring to it as a revival, I've been lurking for ages.

chosef
Org Profile

Post by chosef » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:36 am

If you have absolutely no other choice than to use divx/xvid(the latter is impossible actually, unless you change it to divx with the fourCC changer), use the divx 5.x codec for decoding, as 6.x rarely works for some reason. Oh and disable generic MPEG 4 playback support in your FFDSHOW settings(if you have it installed)
Мрете у кофите!

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm

Weeelllll, here is the update:

I downloaded the HuffYUV codec, and whenever I converted a video with it, the computer would lock up upon seeing the dand ICON for the video. I have no clue if I did something wrong or what, but I've stopped usin that codec.

Somebody suggested Lagarith, and that has been working so far. I haen't tired it with all of my footage yet, but it works with what little I have tried.

....Maybe this should be stickied or something so Scintilla does not have to post that banner everywhere; I see i'm not the only one who has had this problem ^^;

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”