I just want a simple, cheap encoder for the PC. . .

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 pm

Speaking as someone who started out editing using only VirtualDub (and without using the Org's tech guides), it doesn't take too long to understand the program if you just get in there and fiddle with it (and if someone with an interest in video editing doesn't want to get in and learn how to use a reasonably-simple program like VDub they shouldn't be trying in the first place, IMO - not wanting to do something like that is the cause for a lot of poor-looking output; even something akin to Quicktime Pro is complex enough that to get good results there needs some instruction). Having a lot of options isn't intimidating if there's a manual that tells you each step to go through, which is exactly what the A/V Guides do.

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:12 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really appreciate the recommendations. I guess I have some more downloading to do!

trythil: X11! Of course! I should have known I would need to install that. :oops:
Qyot27 wrote:(and if someone with an interest in video editing doesn't want to get in and learn how to use a reasonably-simple program like VDub they shouldn't be trying in the first place, IMO
I don't understand why you would say that they "shouldn't be trying." Everyone learns at a different pace, and in different ways. Frankly, I'd rather see a video with a great concept and skillfull editing, but with so-so-output, than one with mediocre editing but great output quality.

There's no reason why a person who is interested in vidding can't learn VirtualDub (or whatever other effective method they find) as time progresses. But they don't have to learn it right off the bat.

I just saw a video made by a first-time vidder, just using Windows Movie Maker and exporting using a high quality WMV preset. The WMV quality could be better, sure. But it was okay, and the editing and concept were so skillful, especially considering this person is a beginner! Should she be told that she "shouldn't be trying" to do fan videos, simply because she's not eager to figure out VDM just this exact minute? I don't think so. If she continues to have a passion for editing, she'll eventually get there.
not wanting to do something like that is the cause for a lot of poor-looking output; even something akin to Quicktime Pro is complex enough that to get good results there needs some instruction).
Quicktime Pro is a lot simpler that VirtualDub. A short tutorial (a paragraph or less) could instruct someone on how to customize it.

No slam against using VDM, because undoubtedly it has a great track record for excellence.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:51 am

whoah, elvirasweeney, you put Qyot's remark a little out of proportion. He meant that if people absolutely resist to learning VDb ten they shouldn't keep trying. If they say "later" and really do intend to use it later, then that's fine, of course. We're not that extremist here
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:12 am

Gepetto wrote:whoah, elvirasweeney, you put Qyot's remark a little out of proportion. He meant that if people absolutely resist to learning VDb ten they shouldn't keep trying. If they say "later" and really do intend to use it later, then that's fine, of course. We're not that extremist here
Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining. It was a bit confusing.

It's true—if someone is not interested in learning VDb then they shouldn't keep trying. That only makes sense. I'm guessing that a lot of newbies would look at that long tutorial page and be initially scared off. That's what I'm trying to avoid—I would like to recommend something that is a step up from WMM standard presets, but doesn't have quite the "OMG that's a long tutorial" thing going on with it. It looks like you all have given me some good leads. Thank you for that! :D

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”