Software Suggestions

For help and discussion about specific video editing systems like Adobe software, Windows Movie Maker, Magix, Sony Vegas, etc. Please note the subforums.

Software Suggestions

Postby Knuxxx » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:59 pm

I've been using WMM for my AMVs and I'm looking to got a better program. I'm mainly looking for a porgram that I can mess with the frame and animate them, kinda like in the euphoria video. Any suggestions?
"The servers are the 7 chaos..."
User avatar
Knuxxx
 
Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: ...

Postby CrackTheSky » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:23 pm

If I understand your meaning, Adobe After Effects is probably what you're after. For cheaper solutions (as AE usually runs at $800+) I'd suggest Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.

AE is great for very precise control over effect usage, and if you can picture what you want your video to look like in your head you can probably do it in AE. The thing about AE is that if you plan on using it exclusively you're going to run into problems; it's meant to be used in conjunction with other editing suites, specifically Premiere. It's focus is on making graphics and effects on clips which you export out of AE and back into another editing program. Although videos made in AE and nothing else have been done before, from what I've heard it's more trouble than it's worth.

I prefer Vegas; it's an easy-to-understand program that I've found has pretty powerful control when it comes to effects; I haven't really run into any roadblocks in the sense that there's nothing I haven't been able to do with Vegas in the three-and-a-half videos I've made with it, save the ever-popular "shatter" effect.

As for Premiere, it's basically the same as Vegas but with the Adobe price tag...I think it's slightly more expensive than Vegas. I've never used it so I can't comment any further on it.

If you want a really cheap program that's relatively powerful, check out Magix Movie Edit Pro. I *believe* Koop used Magix to make Euphoria, and for someone coming off of WMM it's the logical next step.
User avatar
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Probably not editing.

Postby CrackTheSky » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:37 pm

I forgot to mention price tags:

Adobe After Effects 7.0: ~$700+ (~$200 upgrade)
Adobe Premiere 6.5: ~$750
Sony Vegas 6.0: $500 (this is an estimate; for some reason it's not listed on Sony's software website, so I'm going by Amazon's price and all they have is a used version for $382)
Magix Movie Edit Pro 11: $50

There's a much more comprehensive list here.
User avatar
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Probably not editing.

Postby Knuxxx » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:38 pm

thanks, I guess I'll use Magic for now, since I did try vegas not too long ago, and I'm still playing around with it
"The servers are the 7 chaos..."
User avatar
Knuxxx
 
Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: ...

Postby Digitalmaster3605 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:33 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:I forgot to mention price tags:

Adobe After Effects 7.0: ~$700+ (~$200 upgrade)
Adobe Premiere 6.5: ~$750
Sony Vegas 6.0: $500 (this is an estimate; for some reason it's not listed on Sony's software website, so I'm going by Amazon's price and all they have is a used version for $382)
Magix Movie Edit Pro 11: $50

There's a much more comprehensive list here.


6.5 you should be able to get used for around 100 bucks, it's 3 off what Adobe is selling now. Premiere Pro 2 is what they're selling. Same with Vegas, theres a new version, 7, and 6 is discountinued. There's a discount seller selling OEM versions of Vegas for 99 dollars, theres a link somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.
User avatar
Digitalmaster3605
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2004

Postby Digitalmaster3605 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:35 pm

Vegas 6.0 Full Version $99

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=70566 <-Link to thread originally talking about it.
Actually, it isn't OEM. It's a regular version.
User avatar
Digitalmaster3605
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2004

Postby Willen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:50 am

Digitalmaster3605 wrote:Vegas 6.0 Full Version $99

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=70566 <-Link to thread originally talking about it.
Actually, it isn't OEM. It's a regular version.

The regular version comes in a box and is packed with a manual. This one does not--its just the CD and a product key like other OEM software. BUT, other than the packaging, it is the full, functional, legitimate Vegas 6 program.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image
User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Status: Melancholy

Postby Digitalmaster3605 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Oh okayt, that's what I originaly thought, but I didn't see it say OEM anywhere. ^^;;
User avatar
Digitalmaster3605
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2004

Postby Willen » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:50 am

Digitalmaster3605 wrote:Oh okayt, that's what I originaly thought, but I didn't see it say OEM anywhere. ^^;;

Most OEM software never say OEM. Sometimes they tack on Standard, Basic, Essential or Starter to the name to stripped down OEM stuff. But other than the Vegas Movie Studio version, I know only of the 'full' one--OEM or regular.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image
User avatar
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Location: SOS-Dan HQ
Status: Melancholy

Postby Digitalmaster3605 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:35 pm

Willen wrote:
Digitalmaster3605 wrote:Oh okayt, that's what I originaly thought, but I didn't see it say OEM anywhere. ^^;;

Most OEM software never say OEM. Sometimes they tack on Standard, Basic, Essential or Starter to the name to stripped down OEM stuff. But other than the Vegas Movie Studio version, I know only of the 'full' one--OEM or regular.


Usually the only thigns I buy OEM are computer parts, and those explicity say so ^^;;
User avatar
Digitalmaster3605
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2004


Return to Video Editing Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests