How to Spot a Bootleg

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:39 pm

There are no real legitimate reasons to buy bootlegs. Anime is a privilege, not a right. However, you may individually come up with your own rationalizations to buy them. We can not stop you from thinking those thoughts nor buying bootlegs. At the same time, we do not condone the purchasing of bootlegs nor the promotion of such activity.

If you feel the need to buy bootlegs, then go right ahead, we can not stop you. But don't come here and try to persuade other people to do the same. That is neither the point of this thread nor the purpose of this site.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm

paizuri wrote:...you may individually come up with your own rationalizations to buy them...
In other words, come up with an excuse to break the law. That's the point. It's illegal, so you shouldn't try justifying it. If you want to buy bootlegs freely and happily, then start an armed revolution and turn your city into an anarchistic republic that does not condemn the production, trade or use of illegally copied material. Unless you're willing to do that, you should know that you're wrong in buying them, period.

The point of this thread is to help people that are afraid of being schammed into buying bootlegs thinking they're originals, not to discuss the pros and cons of bootlegs.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Denkyufan
Org Profile

Post by Denkyufan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:21 pm

Bootlegs... if you do it then it'd be wise to keep your mouth shut. All it would take is some jelous ex-friend or lover to turn you in. Although if anything will happen to you I don't know.

That's not to say I've not been dopped before, I remember buying the Tenchi movies on Ebay once. I have since bought legit versions on DVD and I own the 3 tapes I recieved which were obviously knockoffs. The only other case was a Hellsing box set that came on 2 DVDs. I wasn't suspicious cause it featured an english dub and the subtitles were legit looking but to have the series on 2 disk and it be about the price of 1 1/2 volumes of the series sold in individual disks?

What gets me is those who DL fansubs and then sell em on Ebay. And people buy em too.

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:36 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:You just need to know where to look. I can't be bothered, so i started just buying the R2s :?
Time is money... or something like that? :?
RevolutionaryDragon wrote:all i can say is that if ppl want to buy the originals and are not sure that they arent, just contact the seller(on any websites) and ask them if they are originals...
Not necessarily. I've seen a couple of 'seller said discs were legit' complaints on eBay and Amazon. If someone's sufficiently concerned about bootlegs to be contacting the supplier directly, then the honest answer is going to lose that supplier a sale.

celibi87
Org Profile

Post by celibi87 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Lets get back on track, can anyone validate this site? http://www.bargainanime.com/anime-dvd-b ... ooly-.html

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Celibi - that site looks legit.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:10 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Celibi - that site looks legit.
x2
box art (check), price (check), languages (check), companies (check)

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 pm

Where would be some legit places to buy the R2 versions of anime? Personally, I'm looking for AIR and Kanon 2 when it comes out.

Riph
Org Profile

Post by Riph » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:24 pm

Hmm, well, I've checked and I've been initiated into the "It was too good to be true" group of anime buyers. The description had looked plenty legit, but the dvd looked a bit suspect when I got it, and its from one of the "companies" listed as pirates.

Shame on me.

And what's annoying is if I had read the few negative reviews of the seller (ebay/half.com), I'd have seen a warning about bootlegs. This seller even has the nerve to have a website/store where they sell plenty of bootlegs. Sigh.

I've bought hundreds of dollars in anime, and this was my 2nd ebay purchase. (first was a more sensibly priced box set that was legit) That'll learn me. Back to the astronaut site for me.

DocturKnowles
Org Profile

Post by DocturKnowles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 am

Is there any way to report Merchants on Amazon who are bootlegging?

Return to “General Anime”