Annoying Error Message

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Penny Dreadful
Org Profile

Annoying Error Message

Post by Penny Dreadful » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:42 pm

For the last two days I've been trying to export a video, but WMM keeps giving me this (or a similar) message:

The instruction at “0x0frc54b6” referenced memory at “0x0000000”. The memory could not be “written”.

I have no idea what it could mean. All of my clips are there, none of them are missing. The video is rather long, but play fine in the program itself. Whenever I try to export, it just freaks out. I either get the error message or the program vanishes all-together. I tried exporting a much smaller file and that worked. I really don't know what to do, but I'd like to salvage my video after all that work. I seriously doubt it's a space problem. My computer seems to have plenty of space free. That was the first thing I checked.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Don't recognize the specific error message, but most problems like this in any editing program, and especially WMM, can be contributed to how the clips are encoded - if you're using DivX or XviD-encoded clips, you're going to have to convert them to HuffYUV or Lagarith to avoid stability issues...although WMM has a number of stability issues to begin with.

Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> for more information.

Penny Dreadful
Org Profile

Post by Penny Dreadful » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:26 pm

I don't suppose there's any way around that or any simple way to convert the clips? Won't converting them mean I'll have to start over? The file names will change and what-not. I've used these clips before (at least ones from the same file) and never had a problem with them until now. It'll start exporting then just quit. In other words I'll have a file of about 3kb that's completely useless after it decides to just quit working.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:38 pm

I'm smelling a memory probelm. How much RAM does your system have?

Penny Dreadful
Org Profile

Post by Penny Dreadful » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:54 pm

248MB...so, not a whole lot...but it's always worked just fine for me until now. I don't have a lot of money to spend on that either.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:05 pm

I'm just going on a hunch here so I may be wrong.

One thing you can try to do is to close down any programs that may be running in the background like isntant messaging devices as well as any usless items in your taskmanager to free up some RAM. Just be sure not to close any system processes, usually ones with the name of the current user are okay, but only do this with caution.

One thing I found out with WMM is to try over and over again and I may work at some point. Though, I think a better tech guy can give you more help than I can.

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 pm

I don't agree with the whole encoding process.
I have been using WMM2 for two years and I never had to encode Divx and Xvid clips to another lossless codec,like Huffyuv or Lagarith.So I don't believe that it has to do with your clips.

However,did you by any chance install any new codecs on your pc while being on the middle of the project?Because the editing programs are quite sensitive with these changes.

There was a time that I got a similar error message when I was trying to open Premiere and the answer I got from the guys here is that it had to do with my codecs.I had one codec installed two times,one from a codec pack and one as single.

Anyway,check out your codecs.
Hope that I helped.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Full Metal Sempai wrote:I have been using WMM2 for two years and I never had to encode Divx and Xvid clips to another lossless codec,like Huffyuv or Lagarith.So I don't believe that it has to do with your clips.
You should be aware that this really has to do with your personal editing process, not the clips or wmm's stability. If you make it a habbit to do a lot of frame-specific scans through xvid clips, to cut clips down very short and to have a brain-killingly complicated timeline (fades and speed changes especially), then wmm will hack up a lung on you till you give it something easier to scan through than xvid. It's not just the quality and memory errors you can get. Depending on how you edit, wmm may refuse any codec. Xvid just gets excluded more often than most because it's buggy to begin with (compared to mpg, or even wmv).

All it takes is one person who doesn't know how to encode to xvid, and those source files you're using (why why why) will give you all sorts of error messeges. One garbled frame in a fansub ep, wmm snags and self destructs, and you may not even be able to fix the problem by converting to huffyuv - because that mangled frame could be unfixable. You'd have to find it and save clips around it. Sounds like you've been lucky, but that's your luck, not everyone else imagining things when they say xvid is death for source footage.

/Penny Dreadful

Did you try cutting your timeline into smaller (less complicated) pieces and exporting those? You can highlight, then copy and paste sections of your clips into a new timeline. That should tell you if it's a memory error or a problem with the source clips.

How much disc space do you have? You want 3 to 4 gigs free to start with. Then you can allot some of your disc space to virtual memory if you have a big enough harddrive. Otherwise, just close programs like media player, and try producing a piece of your timeline (so you're sure it's not the clips). You can make vids with wmm on a 6gig computer with crap memory - you just have to simplify the timeline and clear up as much free space as possible.

sirvayza
Org Profile

Post by sirvayza » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:23 pm

why not just save it to your computer as a regular file? forego the whole exporting business until you get the whole thing saved in wmm format, after that you can change it to mpeg or whatever, just saving it as a "complete" movie should solve the problem. and i seriously doubt codecs are the problem, if they were, you'd have trouble even viewing it in your wmm program. just my 2 cents worth.

Penny Dreadful
Org Profile

Post by Penny Dreadful » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:38 pm

All right, I've officially attempted everything suggested to me with the same results. To make matters more fun, the sound now refuses to work on my computer. As for simply saving the file to my computer - it won't. Saving it is the only exporting I can do in WMM and it refuses to.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”