Converting 120 FPS to 24 or 30 FPS

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Gepetto wrote:that's not what I meant, I wanted to know where it was from. Last I heard, CG graphics in games went as high as 72fps, not 120. TV shows are broadcasted at 24 or 30 (rounding the decimals), so I was curious.
It comes from rippers/fansubbers adding in dummy frames to make their e-penis bigger. Most people watching them are too dumb to know that a higher framerate doesn't mean anything.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:51 pm

I'm still having no luck making the video not skip when I render it, no matter what I do. I can show someone the video file if anyone wants to see it, send me a PM.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Gepetto wrote:that's not what I meant, I wanted to know where it was from. Last I heard, CG graphics in games went as high as 72fps, not 120. TV shows are broadcasted at 24 or 30 (rounding the decimals), so I was curious.
I believe it's an effort to solve the problem of hybrid footage: from what I've heard, some shows these days are animated mainly at 24fps but have certain parts done at 30. 120 is the LCD of 24 and 30, so a framerate of 120fps can accomodate this kind of footage without having to use a variable framerate.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:03 am

Scintilla wrote:
I believe it's an effort to solve the problem of hybrid footage: from what I've heard, some shows these days are animated mainly at 24fps but have certain parts done at 30. 120 is the LCD of 24 and 30, so a framerate of 120fps can accomodate this kind of footage without having to use a variable framerate.
That's exactly the reason. But there are some cappers that do it for no apparent reason, since there weren't any 29.97/30fps sequences that avi2tc detected. Such is the case with one of the cappers for Galaxy Angel II, although that's an odd case because in a different 120fps raw of the same episode there actually were 29.97 sections, which just makes me wonder what the heck is going on.

And considering the fact that null frames are simply passed over during decoding (hence you won't notice), going up to 120 isn't really necessary. It would only require going up to the highest framerate - which in the case of most shows, would be 29.97.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 am

Qyot27 wrote:
Scintilla wrote:
That's exactly the reason. But there are some cappers that do it for no apparent reason, since there weren't any 29.97/30fps sequences that avi2tc detected. Such is the case with one of the cappers for Galaxy Angel II, although that's an odd case because in a different 120fps raw of the same episode there actually were 29.97 sections, which just makes me wonder what the heck is going on.

And considering the fact that null frames are simply passed over during decoding (hence you won't notice), going up to 120 isn't really necessary. It would only require going up to the highest framerate - which in the case of most shows, would be 29.97.
The only thing that gets me is that the programs are broadcast at 29.97 fps (actually 59.94 fields per second, interlaced). Why not keep it all at 29.97 fps OR do IVTC and release at 23.976 fps instead of doing 119.88 fps VFR?

And just because I want to do the math:
23.976 x 5 = 119.88
29.970 x 4 = 119.88

To get rid of the audio add KillAudio() to your script thusly:

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("C:\path\Your120fpsVideo.avi")
SelectEvery(4) #for 29.97fps, else use (5) for 23.976fps
KillAudio() #removes audio stream(s)
I removed the fps=119.88 and ConvertFPS=true arguments from the script since the last time I had those in there, the other person with 120fps footage had issues with the script.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:30 pm

Willen wrote:The only thing that gets me is that the programs are broadcast at 29.97 fps (actually 59.94 fields per second, interlaced). Why not keep it all at 29.97 fps OR do IVTC and release at 23.976 fps instead of doing 119.88 fps VFR?
I would assume it's to preserve the motion of the 29.97 segments alongside having an IVTC-ish effect on the 23.976 segments. Sort of along the same rationale that if possible, don't simply deinterlace or field-match something - do an IVTC instead, except if one does that on footage that's supposed to be 29.97 the motion can potentially get sacrificed. Like I'd mentioned though, considering how null frames are treated by video decoding software, it would only be necessary to insert them into non-29.97fps segments to make everything 29.97.

I guess what gets me more is why wonky 120fps AVIs are even made anymore when newer containers can properly handle VFR content. From the little bit that I read about how 120fps AVIs are made, it's more trouble to do that than to just concatenate 23.976 and 29.97 video streams together into an MKV or MP4 (I've never actually done that with MP4, though, I've just heard that it can handle VFR also).

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:17 am

Qyot27 wrote:I guess what gets me more is why wonky 120fps AVIs are even made anymore when newer containers can properly handle VFR content. From the little bit that I read about how 120fps AVIs are made, it's more trouble to do that than to just concatenate 23.976 and 29.97 video streams together into an MKV or MP4 (I've never actually done that with MP4, though, I've just heard that it can handle VFR also).
In general, fansubbers aren't the smartest people around (at least not most of the ones I've ever talked to). If they don't know that they can mix different framerates in MKV, they'll continue to do 120fps AVIs. In fact, most of them think that the only practical advantage of MKV over AVI (other than accepting x.264) is the possibility of softsubbing the episodes. A great surprise, considering that they needn't go further than the Wikipedia to find out three times as much about any container.

I didn't know that they broadcasted CG at a different framerate o.o but in some cases, there's a great chance Bashar's e-penis theory is also valid.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 pm

Gepetto wrote:In general, fansubbers aren't the smartest people around (at least not most of the ones I've ever talked to). If they don't know that they can mix different framerates in MKV, they'll continue to do 120fps AVIs. In fact, most of them think that the only practical advantage of MKV over AVI (other than accepting x.264) is the possibility of softsubbing the episodes. A great surprise, considering that they needn't go further than the Wikipedia to find out three times as much about any container.
Well actually, it's the RAW cappers being talked about here. I've never seen any 120fps fansubs.

And if they don't know that MKV can handle VFR, sometimes they still make 120fps MKVs (and to add insult to injury, these are sometimes even 120fps, upscaled, WMV9 VCM encodes in MKV).

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:44 am

Qyot27 wrote:And if they don't know that MKV can handle VFR, sometimes they still make 120fps MKVs (and to add insult to injury, these are sometimes even 120fps, upscaled, WMV9 VCM encodes in MKV).
I think the RAW cappers just want to over-complicate things on purpose. I don't see why they cant just cap a 29.97 fps broadcast at 29.97 fps and leave it at that (codec and container is up to the capper). And don't get me started on upscaling...
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:32 am

Qyot27 wrote:120fps, upscaled, WMV9 VCM encodes in MKV).
There is a reason why people commit suicide and I think you just nailed it.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Return to “AviSynth Help”