How do I convert this mov file?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Melanchthon
Org Profile

How do I convert this mov file?

Post by Melanchthon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 am

I don't have a capture card, so I'm capturing video by pointing my camera at the TV screen (it's not for anything that requires better quality than that needed to see what's going on). I used to be able to open the video in VDM by using DirectShowSource, but that puts the PICVideo watermark on the vid, and since the camera captures at 320x240 it takes up a large chunk of the screen.

Now I can't open the file at all in VDM, though it plays alright in VLC. VDM can't determine the filetype if I open it directly, and using a script closes VDM with the 'this program has encountered an error and needs to close' error message.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:16 pm

Sounds as if the PICVideo MJPEG codec trial was removed from your system or is corrupted. AFAIK VLC uses it's own decoders and doesn't rely on the codecs installed at the system. That's why it can play back your file while the script crashes VDM. You must install a MJPEG codec again. Maybe there's one (at least a decoder) at the driver disk of your camera.

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:00 pm

Well, the codec's fine (I just tested it on another script), but I don't want it to decode the mov at all because it slaps that watermark all over it. I'll have to try Olympus' site or something, because I don't know where the box is.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”