Premiere Elements 2.0 Freezeup

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
SrgtWilco
Org Profile

Premiere Elements 2.0 Freezeup

Post by SrgtWilco » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:31 am

Okay, here's the scoop: I'm ripping files from dvds using CloneDVD 2 and trying to compress them with VirtualDubMod and MSU lossless video codec (though the term "compression" is odd, because for some reason the files are shown as being larger than the originals even though they load faster), saving them as .avi files. I'm trying to do this on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop (2002 model) with 1.12 GB of RAM and a 2.00 GHz processor. I don't know if it's the file type I'm saving them as, the way I'm trying to save the files, or the system I'm saving them on, but whenever I try to edit these files, Adobe slows down to a crawl. Any suggestions? (note: one possible cause may be the number of files I have either loaded or rendered at one time - in other words, if I only have one file rendered, it will work okay, but I can't really be expected to go in and re-render a file that I'll need clips from when the rendering process takes over an hour...can I? In any case, I'd like to know if the problem rests with the .avi filetype, the VirtualDubMod program and MSU codec, or my processor speed.)
Murphy's Constant: If outcome may = A or B, where A=Good and B=FUBAR, anticipate B as most probable result.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:45 pm

You're not compressing whole episodes with that lossless codec, are you? I can imagine that any video editor would have problems in that case.

I've never used MSU's codecs myself, but Adobe Premiere generally plays nice with other lossless codecs such as HuffYUV and Lagarith. It's certainly not a problem with the .AVI format or with VirtualDubMod.

However, your sig is way too big. The forum rules restrict sigbars to a total height of 80 pixels.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

SrgtWilco
Org Profile

Post by SrgtWilco » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks for the advice - and yes, I'll change the sig.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Also, Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 is a huge resource hog, even when idle. Even editing normal videos causes some slowdown.

If you have the money to upgrade to PE 3.0 ... do it. It just manages resources a lot better (resulting in at least twice the speed of 2.0 in clip reading, rendering and exporting :wink: ).
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “Adobe Software”