Help with converting to mpeg2

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
KnottyEmily
Org Profile

Help with converting to mpeg2

Post by KnottyEmily » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 am

I just used TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to convert my finished .avi to mpeg2, but when I played it back using WMP, I got audio and black. Is this because I need to have the encode mode set to "non-interlace"? That's what I read in the guide I'm using, but that was referancing an outdated verion of TMPGEnc, and the settings are different.

Would someone who uses this software be able to help me out? Or is there something better that I could use?

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Re: Help with converting to mpeg2

Post by AMV_4000 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:20 am

KnottyEmily wrote:I just used TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to convert my finished .avi to mpeg2, but when I played it back using WMP, I got audio and black. Is this because I need to have the encode mode set to "non-interlace"? That's what I read in the guide I'm using, but that was referancing an outdated verion of TMPGEnc, and the settings are different.

Would someone who uses this software be able to help me out? Or is there something better that I could use?
better size to quaity ratio can be achieved in Vitrual dub converting to Xvid

but as for your Mpeg 2 problem.. i've never had such a problem even when using non-interlaced video...

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:43 pm

KnottyEmily wrote:I just used TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to convert my finished .avi to mpeg2, but when I played it back using WMP, I got audio and black.
Try playing using other dvd player software such as windvd, powerdvd or media player classic, see if you get the same problem.
If not, it's just your WMP. But otherwise, it could be a problem with conversion. What's the video format of your avi?

KnottyEmily
Org Profile

Post by KnottyEmily » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:38 pm

Eek-1 wrote: What's the video format of your avi?
the file just says Type: Video Clip :? and I can't open it in powerDVD

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:22 pm

KnottyEmily wrote:
Eek-1 wrote: What's the video format of your avi?
the file just says Type: Video Clip :?
What video codec does it use?

I don't remember the specifics, but I seem to remember once having a similar problem with TMPGEnc; certain input colorspaces worked fine but others were borked. In any case, it's nothing that running the file through an AVISynth script that ends in <b>ConvertToRGB24()</b> (yes, I said 24, not 32) and feeding THAT to TMPGEnc can't fix.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

KnottyEmily
Org Profile

Post by KnottyEmily » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:46 am

How do I run the file through an AVIsynth script? do I use the .avs code I have already but with ConvertToRGB24 on the end?

KnottyEmily
Org Profile

Post by KnottyEmily » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:04 am

Also, I had the compressor setting on huffyuv

cupdear
Org Profile

Post by cupdear » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:07 am

If you just want to convert avi to mpeg-2,you can do like this:
First check if the file can be played normally on your pc,and check you have installed right codec foe that file.Usually,I like k-lite codec which can support so many files,maybe you can try also.For the converter,I think you can find out much more fron google.Just FYI,I use winavi,and I think it's not bad to try.
Good luck. 8-)

KnottyEmily
Org Profile

Post by KnottyEmily » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 am

i'll give that a try, thanks

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Which version of WMP? And what is trying to playback the MPEG-2? ffdshow, or something else?

Reason being: I seem to remember people complaining that the 7/8/9/10/11 series of WMP tends to exhibit finicky behaviour like this, and that it doesn't always play nice with ffdshow either. I'd try using the old Windows Media Player, mplayer2.exe, to try playing it, if not Media Player Classic, VLC, or mplayer. It's in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, right next to the newer version.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”