AVS Script trouble

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:20 am

Um, Decimate(cycle=5) will reduce 29.97fps to 23.976fps... if you want video at 29.97, you shouldn't be using this filter at all.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:47 am

OK, you said your using an avi file... what codec is your avi? does it play right outside of premiere? Like in Virtual Dub? it may be a bad codec or bad encode of a video... re-encoding the video might be a solution.... if the avs scripting dosnt work..

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:37 am

Is there a decent deinterlacing filter that won't alter my FPS?

When I started work on this video a year ago (and then forgot about it for 8 months) I didn't know about all of this stuff, so my timeline is all in 29.97fps.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:45 am

Ciato wrote:Is there a decent deinterlacing filter that won't alter my FPS?

When I started work on this video a year ago (and then forgot about it for 8 months) I didn't know about all of this stuff, so my timeline is all in 29.97fps.
Most deinterlacing filters won't change your FPS. EADFAG goes over a bunch of possibilities <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... l">here</a>; I've never used any of them myself.

Decimate is not, and never has been, a deinterlacing filter; all it does is get rid of extra frames.
(In fact, its partner function Telecide isn't really a deinterlacer either; it's a field matcher that uses a deinterlacer if it can't find a non-combed match and postprocessing is turned on.)
ImageImage

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:59 am

he was using telecide with decimate as his deinterlacer but the settings on decimate were probably incorrect giving him a different frame rate. I took the Decimate(cycle=5) from the EADFAG because it suggested that with telecide and NTSC (29.97) footage in.

Personally I use
TomsMoComp(1,5,1)
which I believe doesn't alter fps (it's in the amvapp)

but then I'm a PAL user so this stuff is a bit different and more difficult *cough* blending *cough* for me.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:01 am

just remove the decimate() filter and it will be 29.97

Pwolf

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:23 am

If it's like most AVI files for computer playback (downloaded video), it's most likely already de-interlaced so doing it again is unnecessary. Most DV-AVI files (from camcorders or output from Windows Movie Maker, etc.), though, do need de-interlacing if there is to be any editing beyond just basic scene rearranging, especially if the final output is for computer playback.

For de-interlacing (keeping 29.97 fps) I use either TDeint() or TomsMoComp(). Sometimes one does a bit better with certain anime than the other.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:49 am

Warpwind wrote:he was using telecide with decimate as his deinterlacer...
Technical note: Telecide plus Decimate does not deinterlace; it performs an inverse telecine. In other words, Telecide plus Decimate restores the original progressive frames and gets rid of the duplicates created by the telecine process, which usually gives you a frame rate of 23.976 when you're done. More on this in EADFAG; I don't wish to repeat.

You can use a deinterlacer as part of an IVTC process (and most IVTC plugins do), but you should not use an IVTC solution if all you need is deinterlacing (without reducing the frame rate).
ImageImage

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 pm

I went frame by frame in VirtualDubMod to check and the footage was in fact interlaced.

I used TomsMoComp so things should be ok this time.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Warpwind wrote:he was using telecide with decimate as his deinterlacer...
Technical note: Telecide plus Decimate does not deinterlace; it performs an inverse telecine. In other words, Telecide plus Decimate restores the original progressive frames and gets rid of the duplicates created by the telecine process, which usually gives you a frame rate of 23.976 when you're done. More on this in EADFAG; I don't wish to repeat.

You can use a deinterlacer as part of an IVTC process (and most IVTC plugins do), but you should not use an IVTC solution if all you need is deinterlacing (without reducing the frame rate).
Ah thanks for that. I think I get it now. I had always thought that telecide by deinterlacing created duplicate frames and thus increased the fps. Which is why I thought decimate was necessary.

But if telecide keeps the same framerate why is decimate even mentioned in the guide? Is it just for completeness sake?

Return to “AviSynth Help”