AVS Script trouble

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Well, of the two OVAs, one of them already has the audio removed, and I actually need the audio for the other one. However, the audio that I am setting the video to is CBR, I compressed it with BeSweet.

And unfortunately I can't apply one script to the finish product. One of the source AVIs is interlaced, the other is progressive. They are both different resolutions (I want them both to 640x480), and one of them needs cropping while the other doesn't.

So what I did was I opened the scripts in VirtualDubMod and I saved the XviD source AVIs as Huffys, the swapped the two Huffys in replacing the mjpegs and exported. I no longer get that freaky fuzz issue in the picture but the timing is STILL off in some places. Granted the places now are completely different than the places I used to have troubles with...

I guess now I'll try guide=0 and hope that was the problem.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:27 pm

Ok, I extracted the audio I needed from the OVA with VirtualDubMod, compressed it to CBR with BeSweet and imported it to the project, so I'm adding KillAudio to the script.

Recompressing the source AVIs to Huffys now with the KillAudio in one script and guide=0 (the default) in the other. Hopefully that will fix my in-outpoint problem. If not then I'm out of ideas :(

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:13 pm

it's both scripts that have the timing issue right? Not just the deinterlacing one?

If it was just that one it would suggest there is something up with the deinterlacing. Probably with decimate since that removes some of the frames (since telecide has restored the frames and produced too many) to give it a certain fps (user defined).

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Before I had re-encoded the source AVIs to Huffys I was having the timing issue with both scripts.

Now that they're pointing to Huffys instead of XviDs, only the deinterlacing script is having the timing issues. The problem is half solved :P

The new Huffy with guide=0 should be done later tonight, hopefully that will fix it.

It's actually kind of funny, it's like watching a whole different AMV, and in lots of places it doesn't make sense but holy crap there was one scene which I think was timed better than the timing I did myself. Once we figure out what's going on here I'm gonna go back and touch it up before I release the video.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Nope, setting guide to 0 didn't fix the problem.
Is there a way to deinterlace the footage without messing up my in-out points?

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:48 pm

I think I might have found the problem.
The mjpeg source I edited with is 29 FPS, but the deinterlaced Huffy is 23 FPS.
I have a feeling adding AssumeFPS(29.97) after the deinterlacing commands might bring it back to where it should be.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:20 pm

was it 29.97 to start with or 29? those fps are different (it's not a case of near engough is good engough for fps unfortunetly).

I only use assumefps(whatever) when it's really close to the fps anyway I'm not sure if 23 to 29.97 is too far you may end up with really fast footage.

alter the values in decimate until the huffyuv meets the fps you need. All your files in premiere should be the same fps.

Warpwind
Org Profile

Post by Warpwind » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:35 pm

double posting
guides wrote:Decimate:

Cycle - The number tells decimate how regularly to remove a frame. For NTSC IVTC it is 1 in every 5 frames. Later you will see some examples where decimation is used differently or not at all..
Mode - The mode will govern what frame in a sequence gets deleted. This decision will affect how smooth the output will be. For a simple NTSC Telecine of anime, mode of 2 is best - you can read the decomb manual for info on the other modes.
more info here http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... etb3a.html

so you should just be able to add
Decimate(cycle=5, mode=2)
and it should be 29.97fps (I'm assuming your source is NTSC)
if it isn't alter the number next to cycle until you get the fps you want.

Also if you click "file information" in virtualdubmod it should give you all the info on the file including fps after running it through the .avs script.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Source AVI = 29.97 FPS
mjpegs used to edit = 29.97 FPS
Re-encoded Huffy = 23.976 FPS

But I'll try Decimate(cycle=5, mode=2)

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:58 pm

I had to put cycle to the max (25), and even then I didn't get 29.97 FPS.
I got 28.77

I guess that's close enough to 29.97 to use AssumeFPS

Return to “AviSynth Help”