Some basic questions

sinneah
Org Profile

Some basic questions

Post by sinneah » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:10 pm

Before you refer me to EADFAG (sp?). I have read it =] On a side note, it's a very nice guide with a lot of detail, but I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the information.
Not software specific questions, but one in reference to Vegas, so I thought I should post here.

1)How do I determine whether the footage I have is interlaced or progressive? I know this is covered in the DVD Ripping guide which is part of EADFAG, however I only have raws at my disposable to play around with right now.

2) I am not entirely sure what connotations the project settings (FPS, Aspect Ratio etc.) in Vegas have in reference to the final product and preparing footage for editing. I assume if your project settings differ from your footage's attributes, some changes will occur once you export your project ?

thanks in advance =]

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:13 pm

1. if it's interlaced, you'll be able to tell during pretty much any action sequence. just take a look at the footage.
if you have to ask though, then it's probably not interlaced

2. yes
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:22 pm

If you're using raws, they've already been deinterlaced/IVTC'd. So you're either looking at 23.976 fps progressive/IVTC'd material, or 29.97 fps deinterlaced material.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:00 pm

shazzy wrote:If you're using raws, they've already been deinterlaced/IVTC'd. So you're either looking at 23.976 fps progressive/IVTC'd material, or 29.97 fps deinterlaced material.
Or borked 120fps null-framed progressive material. In which case, avi2tc is required to remove the null frames before further processing.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:01 pm

if its really a raw, that may be the case. dummy frames indeed :|
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:45 pm

[QR] is notorious for those 100+ fps RAWS >.>
You can just load ones like that in virtualdub in full processing mode and uncheck "process all frames" then select "convert to fps" and put in 29fps
I had an episode with that frame rate and it worked fine with it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

sinneah
Org Profile

Post by sinneah » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 am

So, are there any reasons (Other than meeting required convention formats) I should resize/change fps etc. my footage for editing? Or is it alright if I match my Project settings to my footage properties ?

thanks ^^

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 am

sinneah wrote:So, are there any reasons (Other than meeting required convention formats) I should resize/change fps etc. my footage for editing? Or is it alright if I match my Project settings to my footage properties ?

thanks ^^
For most MEPs (Multi-Editor Projects) you need to submit segments in specific framerates and resolutions/aspect ratios.

Most of the time, you can make your project settings the same as your footage properties. The exception to this is when dealing with multiple anime source footage with different aspect ratios (4:3 vs 16:9) or sizes/resolutions (usually this is a concern when dealing with 16:9/widescreen animes, some are 640x360 or 704x396 or 704x400 or 768x432 or...). If you process through AviSynth properly and make all the footage the same through cropping, adding borders, and resizing (without borking the aspect ratios) then you've got no problems.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:17 pm

moonie211 wrote:[QR] is notorious for those 100+ fps RAWS >.>
You can just load ones like that in virtualdub in full processing mode and uncheck "process all frames" then select "convert to fps" and put in 29fps
I had an episode with that frame rate and it worked fine with it.
That's generally not as good a way to deal with it because it'll process null frames as real frames, even though it's still pulling the footage back down to 23.976 or 29.97. Ideally, null frames should be taken out beforehand, so they won't get incorrectly processed. I'm not sure if forcefully pulling down the footage rather than removing null frames first can interfere with the motion, but I wouldn't chance it.

avi2tc's method will speed up or slow down mismatched sections (since the reason 120fps RAWs are made in the first place is to have 'VFR' in AVI, despite the fact that AVI doesn't support VFR), but it'll remove the vast majority of null frames (I think it does let some through that result from things like packed bitstream, but I'm not sure about that). And it does it losslessly to boot. No reencoding required, except what would normally be needed to cut clips or otherwise work with any other type of footage.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”