looking for a "flash" effect on wmm

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Jasta85
Org Profile

looking for a "flash" effect on wmm

Post by Jasta85 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 am

ok, i know windows movie maker is the bedrock of all movie makers and is extreamly limited in its special effects, however just on my last amv i found a few new gimics that i hadnt known about before. so just in case it happenes to be hidden in there i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is, or some way to replicate, a flash effect

what i mean by flash effect is the type of thing people us on action amvs to keep in synch with the beat, the screen flashes quickly and it is very useful for keeping an amv in synch even if the actual anime does not match with the song. up until now i have simply synched every single action possible with the songs and while i am proud of my amvs it would be extreamly useful to have this tool to help with my faster paced amvs.

even if wmm doesnt have this feature is there a way to mimic it in some way? i tried fade out to white and fade in again but it was too slow

thanks ahead of time

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:39 am

You could do that by creating a white image, importing it, and then applying the speed up effect several times until it lasts little enough. Then just put it between two clips at the desired time. Incidentally, that should work with any color flash of your choice.

Good luck!
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

keskin_snape
Org Profile

Post by keskin_snape » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Actually you can make you're own effects for WMM

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/Default.aspx

People post the effects/transitions that they've made themselves. All you have to do is copy and paste into notepad, save as an [effectname.xml] file under programfiles/moviemaker/shared/addontfx/

Then the effect should be in there the next time you load up MM. There are also packages of effects you can buy, I brought a really good pan/crop/zoom kit with heaps of variations. Plus there is a profile editor you can download which enables you to save as High Definition WMV files.

Here's some more links that can help...

http://www.hitthebongo.co.uk/videofx/20 ... mages.html
http://www.papajohn.org/
I *heart* Rose of Versailles

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:34 pm

hah, theres actually a WMM user group!
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:36 pm

I feel sorry for them, using that p.o.s. excuse for a program

but to their credit...I'm suprised that they can make WMM a bit more like other programs (at least with the effects)

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Just a suggestion, I'd avoid white flashes in nearly all cases and instead go with a black flash, or another, muted color. Those bright flashes are almost always a automatic delete for me, especially when used en masse. They're a pain to watch, and if your watching in the dark, even worse.

Unless the whole point of the video is to visually rape the viewer.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:50 pm

visual rape?
like ripping out someones eyes and skull fucking them?
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:12 pm

Something like that.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:26 am

Gepetto wrote:You could do that by creating a white image, importing it, and then applying the speed up effect several times until it lasts little enough. Then just put it between two clips at the desired time. Incidentally, that should work with any color flash of your choice.

Good luck!
You shouldn't need to adjust the speed of the white image, just make the duration very short. Import a white still image and adjust its duration. Although, WMM may limit how short a clip can be, maybe 2 or 3 frames is the shortest it will allow.

Alternatively, you could do a really fast fade-out to white, then fade-in quickly from white.

And yes, this is a way to visual rapage...
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:38 am

AFAIK, wmm doesn't let you alter the duration of a still. That's why I said "use the acceleration". Then again, I've only ever used the first build of WMM 2, so maybe other versions can do that.

keskin_snape's suggestion seems better than mine, though.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”