Please Help: THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING VEGAS

eDiTiX
Org Profile

Please Help: THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING VEGAS

Post by eDiTiX » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:37 pm

I'm thinking of making amv's and WMM (windows movie maker) really doesn't cut it out if you know what I mean, its easy to use and stuff but its too simple to make the kinds of amvs that I want, you know more professional like.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of purchasing sony vegas 6.0. I have a few questions.

-Does it normally cost about $89? Is version 7.0 which is the newest, is it worth it?

-Any reviews on vegas like is it easy to use and does it really make a good amv program, like putting songs and changing their effects etc etc?

-On the top sticky guide it says it is $500 or above, but when I check its significiantly cheaper.

-Is it called Sony Vegas Movie Studio?

I also have a celeron processer at 2.5ghz with 1.5 GB ddr ram. Does the system require a lot? Thanks...please tell me soon so I can get it.

I'll search for all of this as well, but please assist me while i do...thanks.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Vegas Movie studio is not the same as just Vegas. Movie studio is a scaled back version aimed at consumers who want to edit their home movies.

Trial versions of both should be available, so check them out for yourself and see if they do what you want...

eDiTiX
Org Profile

Post by eDiTiX » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:05 pm

Alright so which one am I getting...btw I saw two version that i'm confused

Are you talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Digital-Vegas- ... dZViewItem

Whats what the consumer's version is not as good at making amvs as the one above which I think is what you refer to as vegas 6?

Xarathion
Org Profile

Post by Xarathion » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:29 pm

That one in your link is the full version of Vegas. That is, it's NOT Vegas Movie Studio.

Like Zarxrax said, Movie Studio doesn't have as many of the features that Vegas has, but that doesn't mean it's bad for making AMVs. It still has multiple video tracks (up to 4, I believe), but I haven't used it in a few months. All the visual effects and transitions are still in there, and I'm pretty sure you can use them to their full capability. The one thing I know that is not in Movie Studio that the full version of Vegas has is masking. With masking you can cut out custom selected bits of a frame and do what you want with it. Movie Studio will allow you to Pan/Crop, but you can't make anything outside of rectangular variants of the original video file.

All and all though, if you want a solid program to make AMV's with, and are short on cash, then Movie Studio will do the job much better than WMM. I use the full Vegas though because I do other video work outside of AMVs, so I find it's capabilities useful at times.

eDiTiX
Org Profile

Post by eDiTiX » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Hey, I saw the full version of sony vegas for 99 dollars but it only comes with the installation CD...is that good or bad or is the other stuff that comes in the box also very neccessary?

Help someone

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:53 pm

i wouldn't suggest buying vegas off of ebay unless it states that the box has never been opened.
if someone has already installed the cd and then sold it to you, you don't own the license to it.
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:44 am

eDiTiX wrote:Hey, I saw the full version of sony vegas for 99 dollars but it only comes with the installation CD...is that good or bad or is the other stuff that comes in the box also very neccessary?

Help someone
Read this if you haven't already, and follow the links. The extras that come with the retail box are interesting, but not that useful. And the printed manual is slim. You can do without it. Buy one of the aftermarket books if you have to have instruction. It'll be cheaper. (Or read Ladymercury's tutorial.)

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:23 am

Vegas Movie Studio can do masking, but not the way the guides here describe. And the technique available to Vegas Movie Studio is much more limited than the one in the full version.

If the offer that TaranT linked is still available, I'd suggest opting for that and springing for a "how to" book at your neighborhood bookstore. The Vegas how-to books are fairly cheap compared to the Premiere ones. Or, just use the built-in help file (F1) and experiment. I believe that a copy of the manual is on the program CD as a PDF document. Print it out at your own risk...

You'll get nearly unlimited video tracks, full masking support, and a whole bunch of support for professional equipment and formats (XDCAM, HDV, Blackmagic Design DeckLink™ boards, and more). Update to 6.0d and you get some H.264 (AVC/AAC) import and export support (don't know how good or reliable it is).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

eDiTiX
Org Profile

Post by eDiTiX » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:23 am

BOUGHT IT. I asked them and they said that the confirmation number/cd key/serial number on it is legit and unused and it should install like normal. It is OEM so box and everything else is not included. So...I'll give you more news when I get it.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 am

oof...sounds like a bootleg to me.
if it comes in a jewel case, on a cd-r, has the serial number on a slip of paper or the cd doesn't have the professional quality label on it then you got a pirated version

usually people who sell OEM hardware/software have to talk to the company (and get a certification) to sell.

could you post the link to the auction you got it from (assuming you got it on ebay...but just a link to where you got it would help)

Return to “Video Editing Software”