Ogm and mkv madness

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
momentie
Org Profile

Ogm and mkv madness

Post by momentie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:39 am

Just trying to convert both file types into something of great quality that will work in adobe premier... if anyone can help me or point me to a forum or guide it would be greatly appreciated. ty :oops:
~I'm a ninja it's your birthday, I'm a ninja it's your birthday!~

BauziOLD
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by BauziOLD » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:04 am

For such questions you can use the search function of the forum.
mkv to avi
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... ht=mkv+avi

you will maybe need an avs script if VDM alone didn´t worked:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

just look threw the guides
ImageImageImage

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:21 pm

virtualdubmod works for converting these. Convert them to legarith or huffyuv

also a lot of conversion guides here.

http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=670

momentie
Org Profile

Post by momentie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:22 pm

cool thx guys
~I'm a ninja it's your birthday, I'm a ninja it's your birthday!~

andyzhang2
Org Profile

Post by andyzhang2 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:48 am

when i used vdubmod to try and open an mkv file, it said it couldn't locate the decompressor for the format. Then it said only direct stream copy is available for the video. It also wouldn't show any visuals on the mkv. I can play it fine in media player and all, and i got the recomended codec from matroska. Is there something i'm missing?

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:55 am

andyzhang2
, your problem has nothing to do with the container being MKV. That error message is because you don't have the proper codec installed. Find out what codec it is, with a tool like MediaInfo or GSpot and install the codec (an easier way is to look at the error message you entered and identify the codec via the FourCC).
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

andyzhang2
Org Profile

Post by andyzhang2 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:47 pm

well the codec it mentions as unknown was "yyy" with two dots above each y. Then it mentioned that VDM needs a VFW codec, and directshow codecs wouldn't work. I couldn't locate that on FourCC and using Gspot, it said i could run it fine, and it used FFdshow for video decoding. Does this mean that the file is just not workable in VDM?

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:43 am

If you can play back the file, then you are halfway there. To get VirtualDubMod to open it, you need to run the video through AviSynth. Use DirectShowSource("C:\path\video.mkv") in an AVS script where C:\path\video.mkv is the path and name of your video file (keep the quotation marks in the parentheses). Then open the AVS file in VirtualDubMod.

Most modern codecs are designed to work with Microsoft's DirectShow API instead of the older Video for Windows (VfW) framework. VirtualDub/Mod unfortunately uses VfW which limits its usefulness. To get around this, we use AviSynth to "frameserve" the video into VDM. The video is played by AviSynth using the DirectShow codecs and the output is fed into VDM as what is essentially a fake VfW AVI file.

A handy tutorial to AviSynth is here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... synth.html
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”