Pro vs. older versions?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:14 am

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but what's the deal with audio, timecode, stills, and in-built special effects? Are these any different between 6.x and Premiere Pro 2?

I heard stills were better handled in Pro, and that was the only reason I bothered thinking about upgrading. But I also heard a nasty rumor that rubberbands were no more(But people said there weren't rubber bands in FCP either, and there are, so.... 0o)?

And I'm wondering if it's Pro 2 that automatically synchs timecodes between different cameras(since I will be using Premiere for more than just AMVs), of if I got that mixed up with some other editing program?

Oh, and how is the export feature broken? Any more broken than Premiere 6.x, where you had to pull it through Vdub anyway?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 am

SQ wrote:But I also heard a nasty rumor that rubberbands were no more(But people said there weren't rubber bands in FCP either, and there are, so.... 0o)?
Not true. Rubberbands are still there; you just have to change the track view settings to see them. Personally, I never use them anymore anyway; I find it faster to keyframe opacity values directly in the Effect Controls window.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 am

Unless you are working with Hi-Def video (HDV, DVCPRO HD, HDCAM, XDCAM HD, etc.), upgrading to Pro 2.0 isn't a must. Even then, most of the HD source captures require third party software/hardware.

You'd probably want to download the trial from Adobe and check those things out yourself (rubberbands, timecode sync, and image support).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 am

Yeah, if all goes well I'd be getting the panasonic dvx100B as well, so I figured pro 2 would help out with that and AMVs.

But you're right, probably should just get un-lazy and download the trial. X|
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

HoshiNoKaze
Org Profile

Post by HoshiNoKaze » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 am

Lemme know if pro handles 24p good in case I get a Canon XL2...

As of right now I use Premiere 6.5 for basic editing, AE 7.0 for anything else + final output for virtualdubmod encoding. I just like the light and fluffyness of 6.5 as opposed to pro...true pro does a lot more and it's interpolations and fx are waaay nicer than the older premiere, but I never used any of the effects (about the only thing i'd use is cross dissolve) in premiere.

my $.02

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:25 pm

SQ wrote:Oh, and how is the export feature broken? Any more broken than Premiere 6.x, where you had to pull it through Vdub anyway?
Pretty much any codec that doesn't come standard with windows will give you borked output. So basically you can't use huffyuv or lagarith. Your only export options are really either uncompressed or the debugmode frameserver.
When I say broken, that can mean anything from garbage appearing around the top or bottom of the frame, frames being encoded in the wrong order, or the output file being corrupt.

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
SQ wrote:Oh, and how is the export feature broken? Any more broken than Premiere 6.x, where you had to pull it through Vdub anyway?
Pretty much any codec that doesn't come standard with windows will give you borked output. So basically you can't use huffyuv or lagarith. Your only export options are really either uncompressed or the debugmode frameserver.
When I say broken, that can mean anything from garbage appearing around the top or bottom of the frame, frames being encoded in the wrong order, or the output file being corrupt.
dont forget your amv hell CE output... that was the most awsome display of, reasons to stay away from pro, that i've ever seen!

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
... What? I've exported HuffYUV files from Premiere Pro many times without problems like that occurring.

The only problems I have are when the export just stops before it's done and the ETA runs down to zero and when I cancel the program freezes, but those can almost always be solved by CHECKING "Optimize stills".
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:08 pm

Scintilla wrote:... What? I've exported HuffYUV files from Premiere Pro many times without problems like that occurring.
Well I dunno, It happens to me every time, on every version of premiere pro, tried all the codec settings, and a number of other people have told me the same thing :\

dowhatnow
Org Profile

Post by dowhatnow » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:29 am

I'm kinda curious myself as to whether the upgrade to Pro and the addition of the latest After Effects is worth the money/time involved. In any case, I don't have enough money for either one by themselves, let alone both.

A little off topic, but I'm wondering if there's any way I could get the Audio/Visual effects of Pro into 6.0.

Return to “Adobe Software”