AWA confusions....

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ashton
Org Profile

AWA confusions....

Post by Ashton » Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:56 pm

Is anyone as confused as I am about the rules to AWA? I went to the website and read all the rules (for all the contests) and then I printed them out and reread them... but I'm still feeling overwhelmed. I understand that there are 4 seperate contests.... but why? Are there that many submissions to AWA? Is it like the biggest AMV con or something? Whatever.....

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:15 am

There are four seperate contests because they wanted different types.

Exhibition is basically for anybody and is a general vote. Straightfoward.
Proffessionals are videos picked by the submittees, they recieve the entires and nominate their choices.
Masters is the hardest and the most rigerous as to the rules.
Dance has teh winners picked by a DJ.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:17 am

as far as i can tell... AWA is the largest AMV con.... the Expo contest alone got 165 entries last year....

and a small correction on the way contests
Expo is open to anybody... as much as they want (up to 2 hours) and is judged by the VAt staff
Pro is open to anybody... 2 videos only... and is judged by yoru peers... everybody who enters the contest gets one vote.... there is no sub commity...
Masters is the hardest... and there is a single winner... no secodn place...
dance is judged by the DJs

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:29 am

Quu wrote: Masters is the hardest... and there is a single winner... no secodn place...
Aren't there also requirements for Masters? Like you have to have won an award or gotten an honorable mention at a con before. And it has to be a brand spankin' new video, not shown anywhere before.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:57 am

yea... but thats in the rules ^_^

and people always read the rules... right? ^_^

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:47 pm

All videos must be recieved by August 2nd for the pros correct? When do the expo entries have to be recieved?

Also, how many entries can I dmup on one tape for the Expo and Pro?
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:12 am

Methinks those actually were covered in the rules.

Regardless of winning, all entries in The Masters that meet the requirements are shown publically in an event, right? I don't personally plan on winning the event, but I'm sending something anyway and I want to see the other entries as well to gauge my current level of skill. It seems every year after AWA music videos hit a new level of complexity.

The reason I'm asking what seems like an obvious question is because I don't think theres a time restriction on Masters videos and depending on the turnout it could be very hard to fill out a timeslot for them.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:22 am

Kurai Seraphim wrote:Methinks those actually were covered in the rules.

Regardless of winning, all entries in The Masters that meet the requirements are shown publically in an event, right? I don't personally plan on winning the event, but I'm sending something anyway and I want to see the other entries as well to gauge my current level of skill. It seems every year after AWA music videos hit a new level of complexity.

The reason I'm asking what seems like an obvious question is because I don't think theres a time restriction on Masters videos and depending on the turnout it could be very hard to fill out a timeslot for them.
Behold!!! The answer to your very question is in the RULES!

Excerpted from the AWA AMV Masters Contest Rules:

"There is no restriction on the length or content of your entry. We are especially open to concept videos that may span one or more individual songs, or involve audio other than traditional music. If your entry is exceptionally long, we may need to edit it for time during the awards ceremony. We will make every effort to exhibit such videos in their entirety during the convention."

Here is a useful link too, if you care to do some reading.
http://www.awa-con.com/vat/
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:27 am

Kurai Seraphim wrote: Regardless of winning, all entries in The Masters that meet the requirements are shown publically in an event, right?
I believe AWA promises that EVERY submitted to the con wil be shown at SOME point during the convention...even if it's 3 am on Sunday morning.

With Masters, during the actual *event*, they had to cut out a bunch of videos due to time constraints. Overly long videos or ones with questionable content were first to go, I believe. So the videos that didn't get shown at the event got shown at some other point in the con.

Honestly, if you're just submitting to Masters so you can get your video shown during that time slot, I think you have the wrong idea. Masters is the one contest at AWA that is a truly competitive, play-to-win contest. If you submit a video that you KNOW not to be of adequate quality to Masters just to get it shown, you're essentially wasting the judges' time. Just IMO.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:08 pm

I think it's the "Expo" contest that agrees to show them all. Although the proffesionals will take any video that didn't make it in and move it over to the Expo. The masters I am unsure about due to simply how competitive that contest is in the first place. What days are each of teh contests on anyway? Including the Iron Chef competition.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”