A note about YouTube

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:41 am

downwithpants wrote:my guess is that music industry lawyers are more likely to react than anime industry lawyers because we use entire songs, but only small samples of anime episodes, giving us a better shot at a fair use defense against anime industry than against music industry.
And on practical terms, you can extract music from an AMV to sell bootleg CDs, since most AMVs use full versions of music. That means less profit for the music industry. But the same, obviously, cannot be done with the video portion of an AMV.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:17 pm

We should go out with a bang imo. Delete all DBZ, Naruto,Eva, Cowboy Bebop, and any popular show in the USA AMVs. Only host stuff that is pr0n, esoteric, or greater than 10 years old.

/gquit

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:43 pm

Gepetto wrote:
downwithpants wrote:my guess is that music industry lawyers are more likely to react than anime industry lawyers because we use entire songs, but only small samples of anime episodes, giving us a better shot at a fair use defense against anime industry than against music industry.
And on practical terms, you can extract music from an AMV to sell bootleg CDs, since most AMVs use full versions of music. That means less profit for the music industry. But the same, obviously, cannot be done with the video portion of an AMV.
I know it doesn't help our case any, but seriously, practically speaking, why on earth would a bootlegger go through all that trouble when the same audio is almost always much more easily available through who knows how many other channels?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:32 pm

For no reason at all. But it's a valid legal argument.

Of course, people can do that for personal use and avoid buying the CDs, which is also a diminisher of corporation profit (even if in an irrisory scale).
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:14 pm

Personally I think we need to start a movement to stop the linking of YT-posted AMVs - these days, whenever I see an AMV-related thread about them, they usually have more YT links than 'Org links. If we as a community get the word out, then maybe people will actually listen...

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:16 am

A cool thing to come out of all this is if the org dies, the quality of videos will SKY ROCKET since people will have to pay for their own hosting again. The community will also be much smaller but again of a much higher quality since the people who are there will have worked a bit harder to get their.

In essence, the great purge is upon us and I will be one of the saved ones. Everyone whos anyone should come join the HypeO forums before you get lost in obscurity :lol::up:

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 am

Beowulf wrote:A cool thing to come out of all this is if the org dies, the quality of videos will SKY ROCKET since people will have to pay for their own hosting again. The community will also be much smaller but again of a much higher quality since the people who are there will have worked a bit harder to get their.

In essence, the great purge is upon us and I will be one of the saved ones. Everyone whos anyone should come join the HypeO forums before you get lost in obscurity :lol::up:
No, because people will just put their vids on Youtube :P :twisted:
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:56 am

Beowulf wrote:A cool thing to come out of all this is if the org dies, the quality of videos will SKY ROCKET since people will have to pay for their own hosting again. The community will also be much smaller but again of a much higher quality since the people who are there will have worked a bit harder to get their.
I doubt this. Unless you're speaking of 'wuality' in terms of editing, and not video or audio quality.

Before the donut, there were people like me who leeched off free hosting sites, and to be able to do that, we had to have really tiny file sizes.

Not to mention that, while a lot of people were really nice and hosting new noobs' work, you would still feel rather guilty about making the file too big and abusing someone else's bandwidth(Or at least I did).

And of course, if you couldn't pay for a lot of space, you just rotated which AMVs you hosted. I know someone used to host one AMV a week, and it wasn't that large of a file, either.

So quality of editing? Probably will rise. Quality of source? Not so much.
Plus, Vegita's got a point, if we close down, everyone's just going to move to the 'tube.

But, all things aside, if the site is forced to shut down, could we not just go back to cataloging only? I mean, we could even not allow links to videos, just have catalogs. of who created what, where, and when.

Then perhaps the forums could stay, as long as it was "against the rules" the post any of your work on the forums, or anywhere on the site. That way, at least the community could stick together(for a bit, I guess) and maybe skirt by in the clear...

But I am not too familiar with law.

Probably not the best time to bring this up... But I have opposed the donut from the start. Always thought it was a bad idea. I donate to the site for the site and phade and my support of the hobby. Not for the hosting.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:09 am

dokool wrote:Personally I think we need to start a movement to stop the linking of YT-posted AMVs - these days, whenever I see an AMV-related thread about them, they usually have more YT links than 'Org links. If we as a community get the word out, then maybe people will actually listen...
What about the people who put their AMVs on Yuu'utsube but not here (they might not even be members here)? I get the impression that we're missing out on a lot of good ones these days (esp. comedies; you may have heard of a certain video about Axel's hips that we don't have). Of course, that means more bandwidth for the rest of us, but you know the website's stated aim...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Scintilla wrote:
dokool wrote:Personally I think we need to start a movement to stop the linking of YT-posted AMVs - these days, whenever I see an AMV-related thread about them, they usually have more YT links than 'Org links. If we as a community get the word out, then maybe people will actually listen...
What about the people who put their AMVs on Yuu'utsube but not here (they might not even be members here)? I get the impression that we're missing out on a lot of good ones these days (esp. comedies; you may have heard of a certain video about Axel's hips that we don't have). Of course, that means more bandwidth for the rest of us, but you know the website's stated aim...
Bring them into the fold, then.

What I suggest is that Phade and/or the community come up with a statement that explains YouTube's significance to AMVs that can be easily digested by the lowest common denominator - aka most anime fans. We then need to find every anime forum and community we can that has an AMV thread/threads/whatever, and post it there. That way, at least we can say we tried.

Return to “Site Announcements”