Video container question

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Video container question

Post by Orwell » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:58 am

Is there a way to have multiple videos in a single container be selectable, and have one play over the other at the same time? Picture in Picture determined by the viewer, basically. Is that only possible with text? Will any container that supports titles support multipe ones, and allow you to them all over the place, as compared something more standard such as lines in fansubs? What program would you use for that?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

BauziOLD
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by BauziOLD » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:44 am

mp4 can work with it. I´ve found it out, when I wanted to put out the new file, over the old one. When I´ve opened the final mp4 there where two windows with the video at the same time opened.
So: Yes there is a way with mp4, but I don´t know how to fix it with more "style". I mean... Rendering over a file that already exist looks a bit silly to me :?

For better understanding:
Putted out a video called: video.mp4
-watched the video and was not pleased with quality. So I made another output with the same name "video.mp4" and the "programm" didn´t asked me if I want to write over the file that already exist with the same name. So he writed over this video file... Yeah and after that he opens two windows with the same video in it, when I open the file.

Uhm... does it make sense to you? This is really not easy to explain for me...
Is that only possible with text?
In my example it is not like text. It is more a second preview window opened at the same time, with a different video stream.
ImageImageImage

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:05 am

I dont know a program with such capability but maybe just open up the file in multiple instances of wMP classic and "hey presto" you can have picture in picture.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:29 am

Purge wrote:I dont know a program with such capability but maybe just open up the file in multiple instances of wMP classic and "hey presto" you can have picture in picture.
Technically it works, but then it defeats the whole purpose of what I'm trying to model. I suppose I could just confine it to text, however, I'm having doubts about a subtitle maker being able to replicate what you can do with text in photoshop, or even premiere. Theoritically one could make all the text in photoshop, but again, that would require an overlay of another video track on the same one in a single container, unless it were hardsubbed, which... bleh.
Latest
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Sub Station Alpha has the ability to use more than just text (it can use pictures, I don't know about video), but I've never gotten it to work with anything but text, so I can't really say.

Video-on-video overlay is probably something that is a designed or hypothetical feature in MP4 or Matroska, respectively, but I've never heard of there actually being a working implementation. Both containers support more than one video track, but it's the same deal as having multiple audio tracks - you hear/see one or the other, not both (although in older versions of Gabest's Matroska splitter, it would make WMP 6.4 launch additional compact display windows if the MKV had more than one video track - Haali's splitter doesn't display that behaviour, and actually doesn't seem to like dual video MP4s, at least from the file I just tested anyway).

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:13 pm

Hmm, so its not likely to work except with text. If I wanted to stay with the video idea, would it be possible to create the video, and have it be plain without the text/extra visuals, then create a second video track that references the first to conserve space?

I'll have to look into sub station Alpha, though I have a feeling I'll just be making two videos. Where are those hypothetical features when you need them? :roll:
Latest

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”