A note about YouTube

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:13 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I don't think it means it's the end of this site completely. Yes, downloads of videos might not be possible, but it that's all the org is to everyone,.. If so, it's a sad state.

I have to agree with what was said, this is not just a download service, but a community where people can share common interests, coordinate meeting at cons, catalog their videos and provide insight into what they created for each entry...

This is the way the org was before the golden doughnut and if taking the video means the site disappears due to lack of interest, then it was not much of a community to begin with...

Vlad
x2

Even if this site lost the ability to download I'd still frequent it just as much. It's purpose for AMV's goes far beyond hosting. It's a place to catalog your vids, interact with others in the hobby, post questions & announcements, etc. So even if one day that requires to view or DL the videos by other means, this site can still survive as a community.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 am

rubyeye wrote:Anyway, I have faith we will still exist, in some form or another. There is still the Conventions, remember.
And there are still individual AMV sites and mailing groups. It'll revert to way it was run in the background before the Org, but I guess there will still be some cases of sites attracting too much attention.

AMVs will live on, but significantly gimped.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:21 am

Here's someone making the "silver lining" argument. At least about the music end of things. Anime - & video source in general - is another matter (TBD?).

The Good News about GooTube
...these deals allow people to create their own music videos to upload to YouTube using copyright sound recordings. This amounts to the labels giving GooTube users somewhat of a blanket license to create derivative works out of their music videos.

As word spreads that you can make your own videos for major hits without infringing copyright, we're going to see a lot more of these fan-created music videos....

Things will get even more interesting when these artists formerly known as fans get more sophisticated and look beyond the simple lip sync to more creative types of videos. Warner Music Group's press release says its YouTube deal boasts more than music videos, and includes "behind-the-scenes footage, artist interviews, original programming and other special content."...

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:40 am

I agree with the points Phade and others have made but overall I'm somewhat optimistic. The way I see it the various copyright holders are in a fight against blatently pure piracy. For the most part their moves have been to combat people distributing unmodified content they don't own. Derivative works, which AMVs clearly are, haven't been a big priority for them. While youtube, google video, etc. have gotten a lot of press recently that hasn't really changed anything in the copyright holders priorities. They're still after the people sharing mp3's, the official record label approved music videos, or entire movies/tv shows. Even on the tube that's mostly what they've targeted. About the only time AMVs seem to get hurt there is when AMV creators use their reporting tools to deal with video theft.

Of course that doesn't change the legalities. AMVs violate the law and the org could get bitch slapped any day because of it. But I doubt that will actually happen. As long as I can find and download almost any movie, show, or music I want within a few mintues I suspect the copyright holders will be focused elsewhere.

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:14 am

godix wrote:I agree with the points Phade and others have made but overall I'm somewhat optimistic. The way I see it the various copyright holders are in a fight against blatently pure piracy. For the most part their moves have been to combat people distributing unmodified content they don't own. Derivative works, which AMVs clearly are, haven't been a big priority for them. While hosatchel, google video, etc. have gotten a lot of press recently that hasn't really changed anything in the copyright holders priorities. They're still after the people sharing mp3's, the official record label approved music videos, or entire movies/tv shows. Even on the tube that's mostly what they've targeted. About the only time AMVs seem to get hurt there is when AMV creators use their reporting tools to deal with video theft.

Of course that doesn't change the legalities. AMVs violate the law and the org could get bitch slapped any day because of it. But I doubt that will actually happen. As long as I can find and download almost any movie, show, or music I want within a few mintues I suspect the copyright holders will be focused elsewhere.
I agree with godix here. Another think is that lets just say something does happen.

Hypothetically let say the worst case scenario happens and the org is not allowed to host "label" bands. That still doesn't mean we have to shut down the org. As creators we still have options. If you go to myspace.com you can find plunty of local bands and ask to use their music. Or even yourself you can start using your own music if you have a band of your own. So while it would be a shame that we would loose a lot of music to work to that we could not host on the org, there are still other options out there.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:48 am

genestarwind21122 wrote:Hypothetically let say the worst case scenario happens and the org is not allowed to host "label" bands. That still doesn't mean we have to shut down the org. As creators we still have options. If you go to myspace.com you can find plunty of local bands and ask to use their music. Or even yourself you can start using your own music if you have a band of your own. So while it would be a shame that we would loose a lot of music to work to that we could not host on the org, there are still other options out there.
But you're overlooking another side of this:
Phade wrote:Now to make things even worse for us, YouTube has forced a previously quiet player to the forefront:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8038.html
There's no such thing as "label-anime" and "non-label-anime". Worst-case scenario: If TV Tokyo, for example, decides that we should remove all videos that use anime to which they have license, we take a big hit. Others follow, and now we can only have videos like Lost Kitten and Greed vs Envy that use original animation. Then the org would become something almost identical to DeviantART (except for the forums, which stand for 89% of my time here, but are used by less than half of the community).

However, I do agree with godix in the sense that the corporations have bigger fish to fry. Also, these bigger fish have a tendency to respawn and reproduce (e.g. Napster -> Morpheus -> KaZaA -> Shareaza -> LimeWire & SoulSeek, not to mention the titan eMule) and are used by many more people than a-m-v.org. But if they do run into us (which isn't that difficult, just see what trythil found)
trythil wrote:(1) They had (have) strong links to this copyright underground. Here is an example.
then we'll have a hard time surviving. One could say that we'll just have to remove the videos (like what happened with the Evanescence label) but I'm actually surprised that it turned out the way it did. Having to shut down the videos and pay a gargantuan fine for material damages is far more likely, from my point of view. And if the fine is too much, the site would have to shut down, along with these forums. If I believed in God, I'd pray every day for this not to happen, but it can happen.

About blaming YouTube, I do think we should. Policies apart, they draw attention. Period. Attention is what this is all about, and the org only lived this long because we didn't get any from the big guys. Ethically and morally, the sites are the same (at least on the paper); The people who use them are different. The fact that illegaly uploaded movies, TV hows, anime, videoclips and even commercials pop up every second on the Tube, along with the fact that they have millions of users, made it notorious. The Tube is a big precedent, and that's reason number 5 why it's dangerous.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:16 am

Chill out guys, I dont think the world is going to come crashing down quite yet... If they wanted to do anything about us, don't you think they would have done it already? I don't know why some people have this odd notion that we are "underground" and no one knows about this site. If you do a google search for "music video" this site is on the first or second page of results. It's been that way for a very long time. Only a fool could think that they aren't yet aware of this site.

Now assuming that they are aware of this site, and have been for some time, what has changed here? Absolutely nothing.
Will more labels ask for their videos to be removed in the future? I absolutely believe they will. Maybe the whole RIAA will even ask for all their works to be removed at some point, as is the doomsday scenario that is being spelled out. I don't doubt that it may happen. But not right now, and not just because of Youtube.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:41 am

rubyeye wrote:Interesting reading here. But I also had a crazy thought: Would it be possible for Phade @ Co. to SELL a-m.v.org much the same way 'the Tube' was to Google? I don't know how a website is bought/sold that wasn't designed to generate profits in the first place.
God, I hope not. It's bad enough, all the news recently about what the company that LiveJournal got sold to is trying to do.

... I feel a lot better about donating now.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:52 am

If the Org has to shut down the Golden Doughnut, we'll just have to move to Torrent based file sharing.

Once the site can no longer offer torrents, we'll just have to link to sites that do offer torrent hosting.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

linuxkid76
Org Profile

Post by linuxkid76 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:25 pm

It seems someone has stolen my november rain video and posted it there. It really pisses me off because I put a lot of work into it, making it with my sister OVER AIM. >< Anyone know how to get them removed? Last I tried to visit the site it didn't exsist.

Return to “Site Announcements”