bad resolution???

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Scotty_was_Taken
Org Profile

bad resolution???

Post by Scotty_was_Taken » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:10 am

I have a problem with premieve pro 2.0. :( No matter what I set the video data to, the resoultion sucks and I dont understand why.

I was watching a bleach amv, and the resolution was 720-480. Then i checked my resolution and it was also set to 720-480, but still looked MUCH more blocky upon exporting. To test it I even took some clips from his video, and exported it with my settings and the resolution is SO MUCH WORSE! Can anyone tell me why my music video would look so blocky? Is there extra software i need? Because even having the settings to maximum everything produces crappy videos.

Man, two days of video editing and its making me a very sad panda because of this. I know I'll probably have to resart the entire video for a better resolution...but atleast i could get started if I found the cause of this poor resolution.

tanks for any help that can be provided.
scotty
i only like naruto so far...im new to anime... what else is good?

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:10 pm

1. What program are you converting with and what settings are you using?

2. Are you using square or rectangular pixels?
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:54 pm

By 'blocky' I'm assuming you mean 'horribly compressed'. If it really is a resizing problem, that's expected because Premiere's resizer blows, but to the best of my knowledge it wouldn't make it 'blocky', just distorted on the lines.

The short answer to the assumption about it being horrible compression is simple: don't use lossy codecs (that means MJPEG, DivX, XviD, Cinepak, Indeo, etc.) when exporting from Premiere. Use lossless codecs like HuffYUV or Lagarith, or even Uncompressed to export and then use an external program to convert to a different format. In other words, definitely don't use anything that has a quality setting slider bar in its configuration.

If it really is a resizing issue, make sure that the dimensions of the input clip and your export dimension settings are exactly the same.

Scotty_was_Taken
Org Profile

Post by Scotty_was_Taken » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Well when I export the clips are about 50 meg for 15 seconds worth of footage, so i dont think they have been compressed. Or do i just not understand what compression is?
i only like naruto so far...im new to anime... what else is good?

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:30 am

what are your settings for your premiere project?

you should just export your vid with a lossless codec and at the same resolution settings as your project. Then just resize with vdub or avisynth.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”